Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My Best Girl

When you're expecting a baby, everyone warns that the minute your child is born your dog will plummet to the bottom of your priority list, no long your furry firstborn baby.  At our house, though our actual child is definitely first priority, our Weber Sue is still as loved as ever!  I thought it was high time for a little tribute to my "firstborn." 

 

Our girl has her flaws.  She occasionally wakes the baby from a nap by barking.  If you visit, she will be extremely excited to see you and will probably jump a time or two.  She is a sloppy drunk, sloshing the contents of her water bowl within a several foot radius and then slobbering the remainder across your lap with her soggy chin.  Her favorite past time is "surfing" the kitchen counters for food, and if we feed you on your visit I will guarantee some begging.  If she goes without her run, she will make you bonkers with her energy.  And if you're a cat, well, you don't stand a chance.  


But.  This dog.  Oh, how we love this dog.  And the reason why she maintains her beloved standing in our home?  Because this dog loves our baby.  You never know how your pet will react to a new baby, and I was so concerned that Weber would be jealous.  But from those first sniffs of his newborn baby head, Weber was smitten with our boy.  In our first days at home, she hovered at our feet, watching over every diaper change, crying when he cried, and even sleeping next to me as I spent our first night at home on the couch with my baby in my arms (I was terrified because he kept rolling over in his cradle--too exhausted to see that the cradle was tipping every so slightly--and slept sitting up on the couch!).  


The nursery floor became her new favorite spot, and although the early days of tummy time made her a bit anxious, if Riggins is playing in the nursery, you can guarantee that Weber is nearby with a toy of her own.  In the earlier months, she would even drop a toy on his belly, honestly hoping that he would return the cue to play!



She is tender and gentle, intrinsically aware that this little creature is fragile and special.


She watches over her little brother with care, and now that he is mobile she is often one step behind him. I am pretty certain that she would reach out to catch his tumbles if she had the arms to do so!  


She is patient and tolerant, putting up with horsey rides, ear pulling, repetitive slapping on her back, and tugging at her back leg as she tries to eat.  She allows him to snag her toys, and when he goes for her coveted bone she hops up to leave.  The one time she lost her patience and growled, she immediately sent herself to bed and we didn't see her for the rest of the night...she knew she had messed up!  



Riggins loves his "big sister," and she seems to know what to do to make him happy.  She greets him at his crib when he wakes up, she runs laps around the back yard to make him laugh and when she runs near him she often gives an extra jump that makes him squeal with glee.  When we go for walks, she prances next to the stroller, even allowing Riggs to hold onto her leash (of course Mom still has a firm hold on the actual end of the leash!).   



Of course, Weber became an even more devoted fan of Riggins Thomas when he ventured into the world of finger foods.  It took a good week for her to learn that the high chair tray was not an elevated dog food bowl!  She once cleared out an entire tray of Cheerios when I had my back turned for all of ten seconds!  Now Riggins takes every meal with a little admirer perched at his feet, just hoping and praying that a crump will drop.  She recently figured out that food drops into his lap, and she has been known to stick her nose up under the tray in an effort to snatch any bits she can reach!  


The thrice-daily highlight of mealtime for Weber is when that tray comes off; she becomes the best clean-up crew a mom could ask for!  Every bit of food is cleaned from every nook and cranny of that high chair and the surrounding floor, and all I have to do is wash the tray; not a bad deal!  


This dog is an integral part of our family.  She blends seamlessly into the way we do life, and she brings us so much joy and laughter.  She keeps us active and moving during the day and keeps our bed warm on cold winter nights.  She is my buddy in this stay-at-home mom adventure, keeping me company on long days and joining me for an afternoon nap when I decide to "sleep when the baby sleeps."  


And really, I shouldn't be surprised.  Life for Weber has only improved since Riggins came along.  Before, she spent her days in a crate for up to 9 hours a day while we were at work (don't worry, she got plenty of exercise and loving when we were home, and slept in our bed all night!).  These days, she naps on our bed or on the couch for most of the day, lounges on the nursery floor with her buddy, snacks at the foot of the high chair, and goes for walks and trips to the park in the middle of the day plus a run with her papa after school.  


Yes, life is good for Weber Sue.  And our life is better because of her.  

12 comments:

Life and Times . . . said...

That is such a sweet post. I firmly believe that there is no better companion for a child than a dog. The only downside I've found is that our two mini-dachunds have put on about 5 pounds each since my son was born 3 years ago. :)

Melissa said...

ha. you know how i feel about this post!!!! everytime someone told me the dogs would go to the wasteside once baby comes, i KNEW there was NO WAY that would happen. You know for us it was those perfect little pets that alerted us last summer we were getting robbed thousands of dollars...because of them they were caught FAST. i still think weber is one of the prettiest dogs ever!!

Sarah said...

Awwww....I love this post! I can;t wait to see what our "first child" does when we have a baby.

Melissa Ruder said...

Awww, I love it! I can totally relate with our dog, Mr. Frodo. Frodo and Weber have actually met before on the hiking trail, I think Frodo was quite enamored with her ;)

Martha said...

I love everything about this post, and hope one day my best boy Gibson will be the same! They still need to meet, Gibson loves to hang with the big dogs. :)

Erin said...

I'm so happy your pup is such a good sport when it comes to being (slightly) demoted by baby! My dog...not so much. Ugh. Perhaps it is because she is a demanding, needy terrier?!? Who knows. I am jealous of this dog!!!

Auburn said...

Favorite post ever! Cutest post ever! I just love every picture of Weber and Riggs!! Love, love, love sweet Weber!

Brandi said...

I'm pretty sure our dog Holly is one of my top rated baby accessories too. I can't imagine how much clean up time she has saved me.

Love the pics of your two babies.

Angela W said...

LOVE THIS POST!!!!! It was so sweet, and it even made me tear up a little. Dogs are the best!

Meredith said...

So sweet. I love both of your kiddos. :)

Trinity said...

I love this post! Our dogs are definitely our other two children, bringing the total to 6, yes 6. If one of the girls has to go to sleep in their room by themselves for some reason, Maggie will lay in there until they fall asleep, then come out. She loves story time as much as they do, and when I holler and give the countdown to come here right now....Maggie is usually there first. I really loved this post!

Lori said...

Pretty dog! Cute baby!
I am one of those people...that everything changed once the baby came. Ugh...My youngest is almost nine months and and my oldest is a little over 2...and things are JUST NOW starting to get normal in the love section for my dogs. The blizzard we experienced kinda made me all mushy toward my doggies again. But they're outdoor doggies, so that may have something to with it too, but I gave my cat away once the first baby came home...
Some people (me!), I swear...