For months, I debated. It was a vital question.
At what point does a baby's hair go from a cute little duck tail to a mullet?
Over the last few months, my son's hair had gone from a crown of fuzz to a full coif. As the back grew longer and longer, I held out hope that his little duck tail would begin to flip out or curl up into a little duck or pig tail. But as time went on, it became clear that his hair had no intention of curling. Rather, it grew straight down, and soon it began to resemble Jeff Foxworthy more than
Huey, Dewey, or Louie Duck.
It was time for a cut. I put it off as long as I could, trying my best to delay another "first," but it became glaringly obvious that a trim was necessary. We gathered the scissors and the spray bottle, combed his little tail out (rather than towards the middle as we usually do after a bath), and belly laughed over how long it really was! The situation was worse than we had thought...
The dude was well on his way to a little 1950's flipped-out 'do!
Our friends the Rimmers were in town, so Jessica held him in her lap as I cut. Jonathan took photos while Terry manned the video camera. Baby Einstein guaranteed a focused, still baby. It was quite the operation!
My photographer missed the final back shot, but I have to say that Riggs looks mighty handsome with his new hairdo. And I don't think he'll be mistaken for Billy Ray Cyrus any time soon. Although I might have a bit of an achy, breaky heart at the sight of my clean cut big boy!
(I know...terrible joke...insert groans here.)




9 comments:
He looks like a big kid now! Oh the baby mullet. I think we are about ready for a trim as well. She is so thin on top, but the back is getting, well, mullet-y. But I'm afraid if I cut it off, she'll look like a little boy?! What's a mom to do? I think I'll keep trimming the back till the top catches up and we get the semblance of a bob. That's the new plan. Thanks for inspiring me to accept (and destroy) the baby mullet! ;)
HAHA! I LOVE IT! It was inevitable for us, too. Thin up top and thick in the back. Sweet little fella, he looks adorable with his big boy hair cut.
Riggs looks so stinking cute! Oh my gosh. We cannot relate at all to the mullet, but we do fear the 'fro a little. Good job Momma!
Oh my gosh, this is way too funny!! Mullet or not, he sure is cute! (Btw, I cringed a little at the very thought of Achy Breaky Heart, ugh).
Oh, he looks so handsome!!! I got to cut Stone's mullet, and had a great time! Tucker still just a light covering of fuzz, but I'll be ready when his mullet arrives!
Cute big boy!! I love it!
Ah, the mullet. It happens to the best of 'em. :)
Did you save a snippet of hair to memorialize the first cut? Yeah, me either. (Actually I saved one for each boy from both the first and the second, because their hair color had changed completely from one cut to the other!)
Awww!! Fun Cuts in Cordova is awesome for kids!! You should check them out! We always use Brian.
My son's hair didn't grow longer in back than on top. It grew all over. Which would've been really nice, had he been a girl. Unfortunately, even though I dressed him in very boyish clothes, people kept asking how old "she" was and what "her" name was. Once when I told a waitress his name was Andrew she called him Amber for the rest of the time we were at the restaurant. Of course I was too embarrassed to correct her (again). Anyway, we had to cut it. And it is one of the saddest things in the world to see your little boy looking like a little boy and not a baby.
Post a Comment