Last Wednesday, my little man and I packed our bags, kissed the man of the house goodbye, and hit the road to Arkansas. After a night at my parents' house, we were joined by my dear friend Carrie and we headed north! This time, we brought a GPS so as to avoid recreating the adventures of our last road trip together.
Our final destination? Pattonsburg, Missouri. Population 261. Home of our precious friend Kenan and her family. They are moving to Arizona in May and we had to make one last trip to P-burg.
But first, an essential stop. I just couldn't drive through Kansas City without taking my husband's firstborn son to his mecca: Kauffman Stadium, home of the Royals.
Being a Royals fan is tough business, but we're hoping that Riggins will see
a change in luck during his lifetime!
The rest of the weekend was spent relaxing around the house and enjoying small town life in Pattonsburg, including Saturday morning women's bible study and walks to the gas station for fountain drinks. Riggins is finally at an age where he is interested in other kids, and he had a ball following Emsleigh around the house. Emsleigh loved having "Baby" around, so long as he didn't mess with any special toys! He gave her a bit of a heads-up on what life will be like once her new baby sister arrives in May!
On Saturday we drove to Jamesport, an Amish town with some cute shops, a general store, and some great little bakeries. I stocked up on homemade pickles and jams and the general store before we feasted on some good home cookin' at a Mennonite restaurant. I could get used to this Amish thing. Minus the whole horse-and-buggy thing.
Carrie and I hit the road after church on Sunday. It was so strange to leave Pattonsburg knowing that we will probably never return. Very rarely in life do you visit a place and know that you'll never be back! It is such a sweet little town and after several visits over the last four years it has become a special place in my heart. I had a little lump in my throat as we drove away!
Riggins and I spent another day in Fort Smith on our way home, where he got lots of quality time with his grandma. She hated every minute of it.... ;)
I am so thankful to have such wonderful friends. For Carrie, who isn't afraid to spend 8 hours in the car with my boy and me; who spent much of that time turned around giving him snacks, toys, and pacifiers; and who is a endless source of great conversation and laughs. And for Kenan, who is well worth traveling a total of 16 hours--with a baby--to a teensy little windy town in northern Missouri. With these girls, the miles and the hours are nothing! I am blessed.



6 comments:
What a sweet trip. I'm sure your friend is glad you guys took the time to visit her one last time (in Missouri). What priceless memories!
What a precious little Royal!!!! :) I love the pictures. So sweet.
So cute! I'm so glad you guys got to visit Kenan and spend some times with Carrie. Precious memories.
what a fun trip! Great pictures! I need to head out on the road again :)
Those are three sweet ladies! Glad you had a fun trip.
What a great trip! And the baseball pictures are fantastic. I need to see you again soon--I'm having Riggs (and Leslie) withdrawals. :)
Post a Comment