On Tuesday night, Memphis was hit with a pretty awesome thunderstorm that knocked out power in several big chunks of the city. After leaving for school at around 7:15 on Wednesday morning, Jonathan walked right back in at 7:30 with the announcement that the optometry school had lost power. We did a little victory dance before I realized that Riggins and I were heading out the door for BSF followed by lunch with a friend and wouldn't be able to enjoy join him for his morning off.
"Well, why don't you just leave him here with me? That way you can enjoy an uninterrupted lunch too?"
Ummmm....let me think for two seconds...
You got it, dude!
Shortly thereafter, I realized that I was completely ready to leave the house, but now that I didn't have a baby to get ready, I was running a good 30 minutes ahead of schedule.
"Well, why don't you just leave early and go get coffee? You could even sit and read for a bit if you wanted to!"
Again...hmmm....what's a mom to do?
Yes, please!
So off I went, early to Bible Study for the first time since, well, ever, AND on my way to get coffee! I never get coffee before BSF because (1) I am usually running late, and (2) I am not coordinated enough to carry one baby, two tote bags, and a steaming hot cup of java through the very big parking lot, into the church, down to the children's area, and up to the sanctuary without making a mess of us all. Seriously, the one time I tried I spilled coffee all over my favorite little tote with Riggins' name on it!
The morning was glorious, and being able to enjoy lunch with my friend Leslie without having to tear up bits of cheese, pick puffs up off of the floor, or keep a juice box from erupting into Old Faithful all over my child was simply divine. I don't care how well behaved your child is, attempting to fully focus on a conversation with a kiddo in tow is HARD. I even got to run a few errands afterward without getting a baby in and out of a car seat each time! I had all but forgotten the ease and speed with which you can run multiple short errands when you don't have to worry about the whole car seat thing.
I returned home refreshed, energized, and oh-so-thankful for my husband. He approaches parenting as a true partnership, and is genuinely enthusiastic about spending one-on-one time with our son. While I hem and haw over "Are you sure you don't mind?" or "Isn't there anything you would rather do with your morning off?" He looks at me like I'm crazy and simply says, "Les, it's Man Time. Get out of here!"
He realizes that his schedule will not always allow for spontaneous days spent alone with his children. Soon enough, optometry school will be over, his days will be more structured, and his time with our kids will be less flexible. So he is embracing this season while he can, and Riggins and I are both blessed as a result.
So thank you, Memphis Light, Gas, and Water, for being incredibly slow to restore power at Southern College of Optometry (he was off again today...hoorah!). And thank you, Jonathan, for being such a wonderful team mate in this journey of marriage and parenting. I am spoiled (but hopefully not rotten!).
Thursday, April 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I could literally feel your free-as-a-bird spirit through this whole post. AMAZING!
Leslie, that's awesome! What a great husband!!! I am so thankful that Andy allows me to run out sometimes when he's home, and you're right, I'm a SPEED DEMON without the hastle of the baby, stroller, diaper bag... :)
Awesome! I'm so happy Jonathan has the same schedule as Tim did this year. Tim had 3 or 4 snow days and now two days off this week because of the power outage. Enjoy!!
What a great guy! :) Glad you had some alone time. Also--dvd of over 200 pictures is going in the mail tomorrow (finally)!
That's a good man you've got there. Freedom!!! Glad you got a chance to refresh and relax.
:)
just yesterday i was able to get coffee, go to office depot, and pick up noah from school- all by myself. nothing huge, but such a blessing anyway. daddies are the best.
It was a fun lunch! (would've been fun with Riggins too, but, go Jonathan!)
Post a Comment