38 Weeks
39 Weeks
Of course, I woke up the next morning still pregnant and with bacterial conjunctivitis! Jonathan started antibiotic drops, and I went about my day, humbled by the reminder that God was in control of my child's birthday and I was not. Riggins and I had a sweet day together, sharing donuts at Gibson's before heading off to MOPS. After his nap, we walked the zoo for a couple of hours before heading home in time for me to get to Jazzercise.
After chatting with all of my Jazzercise friends about how, yes, I was still here and, no, I have not had that baby yet, I started my workout. I was feeling pretty energetic that evening so I was determined to either get a great workout or make myself go into labor! I put all of my energy into doing the low impact version of the moves, and I was feeling great.
About halfway through class (about 6:15 p.m.), just after one of the higher-intensity songs, I went to get a drink of water and felt a very subtle "pop" and a trickle of fluid. My mind registered what must have happened, but since the feeling was so fleeting and the trickle did not continue, I wasn't exactly sure. I went back onto the floor for another song of cardio, and little by little the trickle continued. In between the next songs I went to the bathroom and saw my mucous plug in the toilet, making me fairly certain that my water had broken.
I didn't know what to do since I hadn't felt any contractions yet, but since natural childbirth relies so much on staying on your feet and moving, I figured it wouldn't hurt to stay and finish out the cardio portion of class. (It's funny to me now, but it seemed logical at the time!) When it was time to switch to toning and stretching, I left early, knowing that if I laid down on a mat it was very likely that the floodgates would open! I quietly let the instructor know that I was leaving early and to not tell the whole class but that I was fairly certain my water had broken. I promised her a present if that is what had actually happened! It was so funny to think that what we had all joked about throughout this pregnancy--that I would Jazzercise this baby right out of me--was actually happening!
I went back across the street to our house and calmly told Jonathan what had happened. Contractions still hadn't begun so I was uncertain as to what to do; I wanted to labor at home as long as possible but was afraid that if I called my doctor they would tell me to go to the hospital immediately. I hopped in the shower, just in case it really was go-time, and in the short time I was in the shower I probably had 3-4 contractions. They felt just as they did with Riggins: like very strong menstrual cramps. Jonathan called our friends the Cookes who would be watching Riggs to have them on call, fed Riggins dinner as I got ready, and made me eat some eggs and toast, knowing that before long I probably wouldn't want to eat at all.
During this time, I realized that my contractions were exactly 3 minutes apart. Over the hour that we were at home before leaving for the hospital, they stayed at 3 minutes apart, but grew in intensity. When I first got out of the shower I had told Jonathan to wait to have the Cooke's come so that they weren't stuck at our house as I labored. By the time I was blow drying my hair 15 minutes later, I told him to have them come right away. I finished getting ready, threw the last few items in the hospital bag, and then started Riggins' bedtime routine.
One sweet blessing of God's timing was that I went into labor in the evening. Even though it was between contractions, it was so precious to get Riggins ready for bed, rock him and read him stories, and put him to bed as usual with him feeling loved and secure. He definitely looked at me like I was crazy during the few times I had to stop what we were doing to breathe through a contraction, but I was so thankful to have those last few moments with my boy as an only child.
As soon as we shut the door to Riggins' room, Marcus and Tiffany showed up. At this point the contractions were pretty strong, requiring me to stop and breathe without talking, and although I had just gotten out of a cool shower I began to sweat profusely each time one started. I knew it was time to hit the road. We threw our bags in the car and hit the road, and as we drove I thought through all of the friends who had shared their stories of natural childbirth with me. Their names ran through my mind in a long list, almost as if I had conjured up some sort of Harry Potter-esque force of encouragers in my mind. If they could do it, surely I could too.
It was just after 8:00 p.m. when we left for the hospital...
Just before walking out the door. Do not be fooled by appearances. The smile is between contractions and forced, I'm sweating like a pig, and the only reason I'm wearing a skirt is because I didn't want to keep drenching my pants! I always regretted not taking one last picture before I delivered Riggins, so I was determined to get this shot!



9 comments:
So beautiful!...you, this story, spending time with Riggins...i'm smiling through this whole post.
That is pretty hilarious and impressive that you finished your jazzersize class, but I'm sure it was the best thing to help progress labor!
Can't wait to read the rest of the story.
You look beautiful! I love that you decided to keep going at jazzercise!
Good grief I'm already crying! I love what you wrote about putting Riggs to bed.
Quick, write the conclusion!!
Oh my goodness, that is so awesome that you actually did Jazzercise your baby out! Ha! Can't wait to read the rest!
PS-You look gorgeous, right up to the very last belly shot!
I love that you had that last special time with Riggins! It's so sweet. Those last minute pictures before labor are so fun. You look beautiful!
I loved that you worked out right up until the last moment! Hilarious and inspiring. I can't wait to hear the rest!
So you didn't have an epidural at all. Tips please, I'm planning on doing it all natural with Millie, so tips would be greatly appreciated.
Just found your blog! Congrats on the new baby. Love your blog name!
Post a Comment