It is 2:30 a.m. and although the last of the packing and cleaning has yet to be wrapped up, it is time to go to bed. I just peeked in on my firstborn, tip-toeing on those creaky wooden floors of the nursery one last time. The house is quiet on this last night that it is ours.
This house is old. The bathtub has a mold problem so bad that the owner is ripping it out as soon as we leave. Not one tile on the kitchen floor is uncracked, and the crumbling grout makes me curse every time I sweep or mop. There are cracks in the ceiling from the shifting foundation, which also makes Riggins' balls roll to that one corner of the living room without fail. The wood on the back porch is rotting. Grass refuses to grow in the back yard. Half of the windows have blinds that won't fully open or close. I could go on.
But, oh, this house. How I love this house. How my heart aches to leave it.
I have been searching my heart trying to figure out why this has been such a difficult change for me. Me, the Air Force Brat who has moved more times than I can count. We have only lived here four years, and yet I find myself attached as though I had lived here for a lifetime. And last night, as I nursed my seven-week old son in the empty nursery while watching my two-year-old son run in circles around the same room, it all became clear to me.
This is my nest. This is where I became a mother, and just as a mother bird builds her nest, prepares it for her little ones, and defends it from all disruption and harm, my instincts are fighting this disruption of my little nest, this home--imperfect though it may be--where we have built a family. We have lived a lot of life within these four walls and over these four years.
If walls could talk, they would tell you of long days alone with nothing to do but play with a new puppy, search for jobs, and question a calling. Of nights where the studying lasted until the wee hours of the morning. Of gatherings with friends on the back porch and around the fire pit in the back yard. Of a couple trying to figure out how to balance a demanding job and a demanding curriculum. Of Thanksgiving dinners, showers, and parties hosted. Of swinging on the porch after a walk through the neighborhood. Of celebrating passed exams and forgetting about the failures by "having' church" with Brother David.
They would tell you of a slack-jawed girl staring into the bathroom mirror after seeing those two lines. Of the tears in his eyes as she told him the news on the living room couch. Of the walls he painted in preparation, and of the armoire he sanded on the back porch during an ice storm just for that little boy. Of the bathtub that soothed her labor pains. Of the nursery they brought him home to. Of the floors paced during those long nights with a newborn baby. Of the porch swing that made him happy. Of the first smiles, first laughs, first tastes, first teeth, first crawl, first steps. Of that first birthday party set between the hydrangea and the camellia. Of the bubbles blown, the balls thrown, the picnics had.
They would tell you of a little boy, toddling across the living room to bring his Daddy the news of another baby on the way. Of a growing belly trying to keep up with a growing toddler. Of the frustrations of discipline and the joys of development. Of a community of believers cramming into the cozy kitchen to discuss God's Word. Of play dates, dance parties, dinners from Emmy after Jazzercise. Of tickles and big hugs at bedtime. Of a hurried bedtime before a rush to the hospital. Of two families enjoying an Easter dinner in the glow of a new addition. Of another beautiful baby sleeping in that cradle by the big front window, rocking on that front porch swing, staring up at that dogwood tree.
Yes, we've lived a lot of life in four short years. We will go on to love another home, to make more memories, and this sweet season will be a blink in the larger scope of our lives. But because of what happened here, because of who I became here and what began here, this house--this city--will always have a piece of my heart.
So long, Crump Avenue. Thanks for providing a beautiful setting for the beginning of our family.

12 comments:
That was absolutely beautiful and bittersweet. I hope you write a book someday, you are such an incredible writer!!
This post is so beautiful and sentimental. I'm sure you will love reading it in the years to come. Good luck with the move!
Totally crying here. Sweetly written, friend.
Tears. Such a sweet post. I totally feel you-- the very thought of moving from our first "home" makes me well up, but I know it's inevitable. Hold tight to the memories & just know that you'll make new & special ones in your next...good luck with the move! (And, I sure hope that I get to see you & meet your little guys since you'll only be 1.5 hours away!)
Wonderfully written, sweet friend. Makes me tear up looking around our teeny little house full up of so many memories. So glad your Crump Avenue home will always hold so many memories for you four.
Crying now. Although I have yet to experience this, I know it is inevitable - leaving the home that I raised Duke (and maybe someone else) in someday. What an emotional rollercoaster. It's wonderful to read your words. :)
What a beautiful post.. well wishes on your journey!
I am so glad I was able to meet you during your four years here. Though we may not have gotten to really know each other, you are such an inspiration and so kind to all you meet. You will be greatly missed around here, but I wish you all the best during your new journey :)
Loved this. I thought my tears were due to the excessive hormones but it appears you've moved everyone who read this. :) Wonderfully written!
What a beautiful post. Made me teary, too, and I don't even know you! ;) But I can relate to moving and leaving a home that hold so many sweet memories. Thank you for sharing your heart.
This is such a sweet post, you are an excellent writer! Best wishes on the big move!
Excuse me . . . I have to go get a box of kleenex. I can't stop crying.
Post a Comment