I did it. Last night after dinner, that old familiar feeling kicked in. You know, that "I'm gonna disregard my disgusting house and go plop this bootie on the couch to settle in for an entire night of pointless television while falling in and out of sleep" feeling?
But I resisted. I reached deep down within, grabbed ahold of my inner Suzy Homemaker, and got to work. I cleaned the kitchen, did several loads of laundry, dusted, vacuumed, changed the sheets on the bed, deep cleaned the bathroom, washed our shower curtain and put it back up with a brand new liner, and still got in bed at 10:45. Man, I can accomplish a lot when I just make myself get to work!
I didn't get to mop the floors and I didn't get to our bedroom, but I'm ok with that. Those will get done tonight or tomorrow. And then I'll be able to enjoy my entire weekend with only grocery shopping left to be done! Now that everything is in good shape, I'll be ready to start a new schedule of doing one chore per day. I'll let you know how it goes!
In other news, remember that couch that I mentioned purchasing TWO MONTHS AGO? Well, it finally arrived and we are picking it up tonight. If you want some fun tonight, you could come over and warm yourself in my backyard as I ceremoniously burn my old loveseat and slipcover! We could even roast some marshmallows if you like. It's a big day. I'll try to post pictures.
And now, I need your advice, related to both cleaning and my new couch. We have a little problem with our sweet little Puppa and her paws. You see, our backyard has two problems: 1) patchy grass 2) 24/7 shade. Put these two things together, and we pretty much always have a damp, dirty yard that clings to little puppy feet. We try to stop her when she comes to the door and wipe her feet on the mat, but most of the time there is still enough dust left on her paws that we are left with puppy prints on the furniture, bedding, etc. Oh, and if the bathroom floor is wet, that means actual muddy paw prints appear. My only idea at this point is to go get a box of baby wipes and leave them at the back door in hopes that their cleaning properties will cut the dirt better than just a rag or towel. Advice from other dog owners is desperately welcomed!
Thursday, November 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
Oh you must post pics of both old and new couches! Fun day!
And we have a similar problem with 12 little puppy feet running through our house. We just leave a towel by the door and catch them before they walk in. We also have an outside mat that they sort of prance around on while waiting on us to let them back in. This sort of takes care of most of the dirt.
I laughed while reading your post because it's such a REAL problem and GOOD question. I can't wait to see some advice because I don't know the answer. :)
Nothing screams fun like new furniture! Congrats! Post some "before" and "after" pictures.
No dog here, so no advice. Sounds like a pain though. Yet another reason we don't have pets. Only children. :)
The group of gals is made up mostly of Second Southers from freshman year. Lindsay Combs-McMullen, Amy Dieckmann, Pamm Deal, Erin Chambless-Funk, Amanda Milam-Markham, Shawna Wishy (though she wasn't SSer)...I'm really looking forward to it. I haven't been back to campus in years! Wish you could be there as well.
Good for you for cleaning!!
Oh, and the doggy thing, we trained our lil' house dog to come in and sit down on the rug..before running through the house (with treats, of course) and then we wipe her feet off with a towel.
The best solution, but not necessarily the cheapest? Forget real grass/dirt and either replace with rocks or turf (fake grass). They now make turf that has longer blades so it looks real and when your dog goes number 1, it just drains thru. And for #2, you just pick it up as usual and then you can hose off the turf. Best investment we ever made on our backyard. And no more mowing! Otherwise, a towl by the door will have to do.
Hey - so fun that you know Rachel!!! She is one of my most favorite people in the world. Her husband is our church's children's minister and I hope they never leave. :-)
She will be at my house for bunco tonight so you can look for more pictures of her tomorrow! :-)
I don't know what to say for advice, but YOU go girl for doing all the cleaning. Oh, and I hate moping so I always put that off : (
Your fun to comment back. I've never commented on a strangers blog. Have your husband google Aussie Rules or go to usfooty.com. There is 30+ teams in the states, plus they need their team to be half americans to compete!
Oh, the dirty dog feet! I, too, have 3 dogs, and muddy feet is a constant problem! I find myself cleaning our furniture non-stop. If you find a great solution, please let me know!
i made those pumpkin cookies...yummmmola
Puppy boots? I don't know either. Everything in our house is dark enough to not show off the loads of black dog hair that is all over our house (unless you look close, then you can see it everywhere). EXCEPT - the tile in the kitchen and the bathroom. Our kitchen tile is kind of textured too, so it is ridiculous to clean, and it's such a small area I just clean it with my hands . . . if I do at all. I've gotten lazy. You know when something is a certain way for so long, you don't even see it anymore.
Oh, and let me know if you find a miracle concoction that cleans and deodorizes spit up out of upholstery.
That's a hard one to solve. I bet wet wipes would work better than a dry towel. On real muddy days I would dip their paws in a bowl of water to get most mud/dirt off then wipe with a towel. They do sell doggy booties!
Hi, from a fellow Memphian! On your comment about needing help concerning the dog's feet-cleaning issue, couch issue, etc., you and my daughter, Amy should communicate!
My "granddog" Allie - LOVES the couch! Check out my Amy's blog - http://amahoney-amy.blogspot.com/
Her Allie has some major health issues and does not need to be climbing up on their couch so they put the large pillows to obstruct her - however, she outsmarts them every time! They also do the baby wipe thing keeping them by the front door!!!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Sandra (Mother of Amy - In My Life)
:)
Post a Comment