Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Belated Merry Christmas to You!

So remember last month when everyone was posting pictures of their holiday decorations? Well, I was a big loser and was too lazy to upload my pictures on the computer and join in the fun. But just in case you are still in withdrawal from chestnuts roasting on an open fire, sugarplums dancing in your head, and other delights of the season, I thought I'd show you some Christmas cheer anyway! A little something to hold you over until next year...

First of all, take a look at the most perfect real Christmas tree on the face of the planet. I was pretty proud of this sucker. Of course, its symmetrical shape and sturdy branches were a part of that pride, but the bigger deal? I drove to Lowe's, picked this beauty out, hauled it to the front of the store, tied it onto the top of the Yakima rack, and drove it home. ALL. BY. MY. SELF. That's right. I was kicking myself for not bringing along my The Bodyguard soundtrack so that I could have belted out "I'm Every Woman" the entire way home. Booyah. That's what happens when your husband has crazy finals for 3 weeks leading up to Christmas.
The finished product, basking in the glow of our living room. Our living roomt that is still in desperate need of some art or photography on the walls. I just can't find the right thing. But that's a whole other post.

A close-up. I switched up the Christmas tree theme this year with the help of GardenRidge's 50% off sale. Score! We are now decked out in chocolate brown, bronze, gold, and greens, complete with mercury glass pinecones and vintage birds. It sounds old lady, I know, but trust me...in person, it is gorgeous. (Just don't ask Jonathan his opinion. He called me "Gladys" for a week after the birds made their grand appearance).
There was one minor problem with the new decor. Apparently, as I wandered in a blissful state through aisles and aisles of discounted Christmas pretties, I failed to register a potential snag:

Fake birds on Christmas tree + (German Shorthaired Pointer / genetic predisposition to track small feathered creatures) = Conflict. Poor Weber. After de-winging one bird and enduring my wrath, she was a perfect angel for the rest of the season. Maybe that was just because the bird didn't actually taste that great, but I prefer to think of it as a product of my impeccable training skills. Move over, Cesar Milan.

Now across the room to the mantle... The little frames contain old black-and-white pictures of my great-grandmother holding my infant grandmother, my grandpa fishing, and my dad as a toddler in the snow. I love them.

Turns out that those old 3-M Command hooks that we all loved in college are also great for hanging garland on a mantle! And if you look closely, you will see a brooch that is pinned to the ribbon on the wreath. That belonged to Jonathan's great-grandmother. It was a fun way to add a little detail to the wreath.
Off to the bedroom, we go! This fireplace in our bedroom is my favorite thing in our home. It looked even prettier all decked out for the holidays. Memphis is home to an awesome Pottery Barn/Williams Sonoma outlet, so I got this wreath and two garlands (I twisted them together to add a bit more body) for 50% off!

What was even better is that when I went back with my friend Jessica the weekend before Christmas, I found another wreath and two more garlands for 75% off. Now someday if we have some more space I'll have plenty of the matching bay leaf garland to deck my halls completely. Gotta love a bargain.


So there you have it, folks. Our house at Christmas. And considering that all those decorations just got put away about a week and half ago, I guess it's not too terribly late! ;)

1 comment:

Tristan said...

It looked beautiful :)