Thursday, June 25, 2009

McGruff

Last night I was at work until 10 p.m. The fraternities had an open summer recruitment event during which incoming students can come visit the fraternity houses, meet the members, hang out, and possibly receive a summer bid. Our recruitment is dry, which means that the houses cannot have any alcohol at any event with recruits. But of course, someone has to be around to make sure that they actually follow that rule.


Which is where I come in.


Yes, I spent last night playing the equivalent of a drug dog on the police force.


Sometimes I look around and think, "I have the best job ever!" Strolling around the blocks of fraternity houses on a balmy summer night, investing in the lives of students through conversation and--hopefully--an example that communicates that there is so much more to life than parties, competitions, and all the other things that can be so consuming to a college student.


But other times I look around and think, "What has happened to my life!?! When did I become McGruff the Crime Dog?"




6 comments:

LyndsAU said...

haha :) sounds like fun!! i had forgot all about mcgruff :)

Dayla Rowland said...

I still remember the commercials...

Scruff McGruff
Chicago, IL 60652

Erin said...

So, did you catch anyone!?!

mckenziegordon said...

That sounds so fun? What happens if you catch them?

Meredith said...

Hey--great excuse to pick up a cute trench and oversized sunglasses. :)

Missy said...

Ah, the days of smelling for alcohol...remind you of the good ol' days in roxy?