Tuesday, September 1, 2009

CRIBS: Obama Style

My apologies for the delay of this promised post! Yesterday was the first day of classes and the weekend before was the move-in of all the freshmen, so it has been a hectic time. But with no further ado...



You may have guessed by my hint last week and the title of this post that our vacation included a little visit to Pennsylvania Avenue. As Jonathan and I planned our trip, it never once occurred to us to plan a visit to the White House. But when we arrived in Annapolis, our hosts asked if we would be interested in one.
Now, you must understand that a visit to the White House requires tickets purchased far in advance, and that even once you have tickets you are not guaranteed a tour. If something comes up in the White House schedule for that day, all bets are off. No tour for you.
But lucky for us, our hosts just happened to be in a Sunday School class with three guys who are on Secret Service detail at the White House. With one little phone call, we were told that if we showed up to the White House around 8 a.m. on the Tuesday that we were leaving town, one of the guys would be happy to give us a private tour.
Um.....yes, please.
The security booth at the White House was surrounded with groups of tourists waiting with tickets in hopes that they would get in for their tour. All we had to do was text Meredith's friend and he came out to meet us at the gate, led us through security, and there we were in the White House!
And that wasn't the only perk. Our new friend, Secret Service Dude, took us behind the scenes to areas where most visitors are not allowed. We saw the kitchen and florist and the "staging area" hallway where all the action happens. He also showed us the room where diplomats from around the world are received and checked for their credentials. It was all very VIP!
After the behind the scenes area, we went up to the second floor where the traditonal tours are allowed to visit. The rooms are all just exquisite and it is amazing to think how much history those walls have scene. One room, however, brought a little pang of sadness to me...
Almost 10 years ago, Jonathan and I went to visit his mother's family in Magnolia, Arkansas. Magnolia is home to a top notch women's clothing store called Lois Jean's. This shop has dressed First Ladies and other celebrities for years. We popped into Louis Jeans on that visit and I tried on the most gorgeous coat that just so happened to be made from the same fabric as the drapes that Jackie Kennedy picked out for one of the rooms at the White House. It was very expensive, but fit me like it was tailor made. I was a college student at the time, so of course I passed on the jacket, but I have thought of it ever since. And there, in the White House, were those curtains. It made my heart hurt. Oh, how I wish I had the knowledge of true fashion investments when I was a sophomore in college!
Of course, we were not able to see the West Wing or the Obamas personal area, but I have to say that their new crib is pretty sweet. I can't imagine how much fun those two little girls are having in that place!
Next stop: Massachusetts!

5 comments:

Sweet Simplicity said...

What an incredible experience!

Katie said...

Wow! That's amazing!! Ugh, not buying that jacket would have made me upset, too. Oh, the "if only's"!!

I can't wait to hear about Massachusetts!

Cari said...

Very cool! All we did was stand outside the White House like chumps. Nice work on the VIP!

ty said...

i'm so jealous of your vip-ness. i've never made it over to dc, but it's on my list!! hope you're wonderful!

walkthroughhere said...

I mean honestly, who else could get a VIP through the white house. way to go Poe.