Monday, October 19, 2009

Baby Daddy


After four negative pregnancy tests, the fifth came almost as an afterthought. I had one test left, had not taken one in a week, and was pretty sure that my body was just confused from traveling. It was a rare occasion when I had gotten out of bed earlier than Jonathan. I took the test and got ready for a shower, so used to getting negative results that I just went about my morning routine.


But before I could even look away, there it was. A line. A pink line. Two pink lines.


Oh. My. Gosh.


I picked it up, shaking, and stared at myself in the mirror. I then picked my jaw up out of the sink and hopped in the shower in a haze of shaky, dizzy, oh my goodness is this really happening, did I really just see those two lines, this is crazy, pick jaw up off the shower floor, rinse and repeat.


Do I tell Jonathan? He was sleeping in. I could wake him up with the news, just run in and jump on the bed screaming "We're going to have a baby!?!"


Or.


I could wait.


A few years ago, Jonathan and I were in a store and went our separate ways. When I found him again, he was standing alone, staring at something. As I got closer, I asked him what was up...he pointed at a little statue, a father holding a newborn baby. And very quietly, he said, "This is really cool." In that moment, I made a mental note to remember that statue, thinking that someday it would be a really sweet way to tell him that we are expecting.


Luckily, in that bleary haze of early pregancy excitement, I had the willpower to hold in the news in order to have that moment that I dreamed of in that store years ago. How I managed to keep the news from him that morning, I have no idea!


On my lunch break, I headed to the mall and was lucky to find the same little figurine. As the clerk wrapped my gift, he looked at me with a knowing smile and said, "Does he know?" So I shared a giddy little chat with the cashier at the gift shop, who sent me on my way with a congrats and good luck.


After work, I told Jonathan that I had a little "back to school" present for him. I had written him a letter in which I told him how proud I am of all of his hard work in optometry school and that I wanted to give him a little something that would help keep him motivated through the end of the semester. He read the letter and then pulled out his gift.


And stared. Silence.


And then he looked up at me, his eyes full of tears. And all he could get out was a quiet "Really?"


I'll leave the rest of that sweet moment to the two of us, but it was just perfect; definitely worth a day of suspense for that reaction.
He is going to be such a wonderful daddy.




And now...a few random details based on some questions in the comments section:
  • I am in Week 12

  • I am due on May 5, 2010

  • We should find out the sex of the baby in early December

  • Someone was interested in sending a gift, but does not have instant reply. Please email me at lesliepoe@gmail.com if that was you!

27 comments:

Hammond Bride said...

Leslie, that's beautiful! I'm crying! Thank you for sharing your sweet moment! I'm very impressed by your will power, by the way...

Jordan said...

So sweet. I love to read about moments like that!

THE MAGNESS FAMILY said...

Congrats!!! I am so happy for you all. It is the best gift from god!

Rebekah said...

How sweet. That is how I told my husband, too!

A Nerd and A Free Spirit said...

awwww....... how perfect!!!! that's just awesome!!!!

Congrats again! I have a close friend that is 10 weeks pregnant, so I get to follow you guys together! (-:

~kathryn

keely said...

That's so stinking cool.

Tristan said...

That is just too sweet!

Diet DP Loving Mom said...

Wow, that brought tears to my eyes. Congrats! It's a fantastic journey.

Angela said...

I could blame my tears on my own pregnancy hormones, but I think your story would have caused me to tear up no matter when I read it. Beautiful.

Meredith said...

Even though I've heard the story 100 times (ok, maybe just twice), I still love it!!! Baby Poe is going to have two pretty amazing parents!

Erin said...

Aw, good story! That is some will power you have there, girl! ;)

Beth said...

What a sweet story. I don't know that I would have been able to keep it a secret all day though ;)

Kinsey said...

WEEK 12?!?!? You are practically through the valley of it all! Did you just find out recently, or where you guys keeping it to yourselves for awhile?

Nessa said...

I have tears in my eyes...beautiful!

Jennifer said...

aww how sweet!! Congrats to you both!!

Shan Cunningham Photography said...

i am crying.
I am so happy for you Leslie. So wonderful. Congrats!

Courtney said...

Seriously one of the sweetest things I've ever heard (read).

Congratulations!!!!!!

Sweet Simplicity said...

That is so perfect and sweet. I had tears in my eyes as I read it. Congratulations, again!

Krissi Dallas said...

Oh, Leslie, what a sweet story and what great news for both of you! Thanks for sharing - yall are BOTH going to be wonderful parents... take care of yourself and that sweet baby! So happy for you...

emily said...

how did i not hear this part of the story?!?! seriously, i don't know how i missed this part. and what a precious precious story. i love it! also, i still want to see the video of you telling the grandparents! let's get together soon!

Brandi said...

What a precious story! Thanks for sharing. What a lucky little one! I was barely able to hold back the tears.

Emma Krueger said...

What a beautiful and wonderful way to tell him you were pregnant. Its a great feeling to see the man that you love excited about the family you are starting. You will be an incredible mom!

danielle said...

what a GREAT story! i love love it! and am so excited for you guys!!

Christi said...

oh you've got me in tears!! love it. he is going to be a wonderful daddy, and you a fabulous mommy!! so excited!!

Scott, Stacy, Maddie, Elle and Lola said...

how awesome... congrats guys! I am so excited for you!!

Julie Caroline said...

Awww so sweet! I also love your more recent posting where you said "Cause there is a baby in there. And that, my friends, is nuts" haha I can totally hear you saying that!

LyndsAU said...

i am catching up on posts and this made me CRY CRY CRY!! this is so sweet and precious and i am so happy for yall!