Saturday, February 20, 2010

It's Official...

Baby Boy Poe

Poe Boy

Home D. Poe

Edgar Allen Poe

Bo Poe

Oh, the fun folks have had with the future name of this little guy!

But we no longer have a need for the silly pseudonyms...our son has a name!

I just can't wait to introduce you all to our little boy,

Riggins Thomas Poe

Riggins is the maiden name of Jonathan's grandmother, Dorothy Riggins Landes, our "Mama Dot." I've written about her a few times, and have not begun to scratch the surface of what an outstanding woman she was. Jonathan and Mama Dot were extremely close--I don't know many grown men who still talk to their grandmothers for an hour at a time at least once a week--and I had the privilege of getting to know her well in our dating and newlywed years. One of our first thoughts after finding out that Riggins was on his way was the bittersweet realization of how thrilled MamaDot would have been to know that she was going to be a great-grandmother, and how sad we were to know that he would never meet her. I can't wait to tell Riggs all about his namesake, and her equally incredible husband, PapaTodd.

Thomas is the name of Jonathan's dad. This little guy is so blessed to have four amazing grandparents in his life and we were so excited that one of their names fit so beautifully with Riggins! Both of our dads share similar qualities of tremendous humility, godly discipline, and quiet strength. We pray that Riggins will grow to have these same characteristics as he follows their example.

And I can now tell you the full story of the morning that I discovered I was pregnant...

I looked at that positive pregnancy test, looked at myself in the mirror, and after a brief moment of shock said out loud,

"It's a boy...It's Riggins."

I just knew that it was him. I can't explain it. But it sure feels great to finally make it official.

(And for the record, we are aware that our nickname for him, "Riggs," is the name of Mel Gibson's character in Lethal Weapon. Apparently Riggins is also the name of a player on Friday Night Lights. And I'm totally cool with my kid sharing a name with an awesome action hero and a hot football player...)

19 comments:

Katie said...

Love it, Leslie!! What a sweet legacy. Thanks for sharing!!

Meredith said...

I am so excited he has a name!!! And a beautiful name at that!

keely said...

Love it. Love a name with so much meaning. Very special, friend.

Pleasant Living said...

How very unusual and dignified. I love a name with a heritage behind it.

A Nerd and A Free Spirit said...

That is one that I actually haven't heard before. Very unique. I love when people take their family history and put it in their names. And how perfect that you just knew when you found out you were pregnant. YAY!!!!

~Kathryn

Erin said...

Yay, it is official!! I love the story behind the name, and I think it is awesome that you just kind of 'knew' it would be his name from the very beginning. What a good story. :)

Sweet Simplicity said...

I love it and the history behind it! So sweet!

Melissa said...

love it! and yes jason and i are HUGE friday night lights fans...so of course that's what i automatically thought of! love the story - he'll love his name

Beth said...

what an awesome name. i would like to use my grandmother's maiden name (thompson) and mother's maiden name (ward) as middle names for my [someday] boys. congratulations on your little man to be!

Whitney said...

I understand the feeling. I knew Weebie was a boy the moment I found out. :) Sweet Riggs! :)

Lyndsy said...

Congrats! I love it. Way better than Home D. And Lethal Weapons happen to be my favorite too so I love the Riggs reference too ;)

Kinsey said...

It's perfect. I adore it. Not only is it cute . . . it's a great story. I love names like that!

emily said...

I already told you on facebook, but I love the name! And the story behind it makes it that much better. Also, those cupcakes changed my life! That chocolate/ peanut butter one...oh my gosh! SO good! And the red velvet, and the lemon! I loved them all (well, all the ones I tried. I did not eat them all myself!). Thanks again for coming to dinner and for the cupcakes!

Dayla Rowland said...

Love it Leslie! So exciting to have a name to call that sweet boy. Not only will he have wonderful grandparents and the chance to hear of his loving great-grandparents but he is blessed to have two fabulous parents who love him and more importantly love the Lord! Yes, this baby will be dearly loved.

ty said...

I LOVE that name ... and Mel Gibson, for that matter.

Beth Miller said...

I love Riggins! Glad its official :)

Erin said...

PS-Tagged you! Check my blog for details! :)

Jeff, Sarah, Harrison, Avery and Elliott said...

Jeff and I absolutely love his name and you look so cute pregnant!!!

Haley Nicodemus said...

What a great name! (I'm a little behind on readings blogs if you can't tell!)

And I love the history! Great choice!