It has been particularly fun to share this experience of my pregnancy with them. From day one they have been thrilled for me and have wanted to know every detail. They helped me finalize his name (I literally did a poll with my entire Interfraternity Council on whether Riggins was cool or just asking to be the class nerd...and of course the guys loved the Lethal Weapon connection of Riggs!), compliment me on a day when I'm feeling particularly pregnant, and argue over which fraternity he will be in someday (Alpha Phi Alpha is ahead at the moment...if Riggs' movements are any indication, he loves their yard shows!)
A few memories of my students' involvement in my pregnancy are particularly special to me. First, the women of our Panhellenic sororities threw me a shower at one of the sorority houses last month. They planned the entire thing themselves (no help from advisors!), complete with an adorable cake and delicious food. Here are just a few of the girls who stopped by the shower:
Each sorority has their own colors and mascots, and it is so special that Riggins now has a little something that represents those groups: a lion outfit from Phi Mu, and a handmade teddy bear quilt from he ladies of Kappa Delta (one of their moms made it especially for Riggs!) to name a few. And of course he got some great University of Memphis gear too...he's ready to cheer on those Tigers!My other favorite memory came a couple of weeks ago during our annual Greek Sing performance. One of the teams, Alpha Gamma Delta/FIJI/KA, centered their performance on a jailhouse theme. The Alpha Gams had been accused of stealing the Greek Sing trophy and were put in prison...and guess who their one phone call went to?

That's right! They called ME! Out came one of the fraternity men, decked out in a dress, heels, wig, and a bump. In a high pitched voice, he recited his line: "Excuse me, officer! Riggs and I are here to release the ladies of Alpha Gamma Delta! They didn't steal the Greek Sing trophy...they won it!" They won first place! (And, no, I was not a judge :)
Of course I had to snag a pic with my lookalike after the show (please excuse my awkward face...I was laughing too hard at the sight of my twin!). The spitting image, no?
Even though I won't be formally working as their Greek Advisor anymore, I know that Riggins has a whole crowd of big brothers and sisters waiting to meet him at the University of Memphis. And if there was ever a perk to this job, I have a feeling I'm about to tap into it:
BABY. SITTERS.
;)
9 comments:
This entire post was awesome, beginning to end!! How fun for you and what a positive note on which to be ending your job--lots of laughter and fun memories!! Perfect!
What a sweet time in your pregnancy with the students. Makes it that much more special!
Please make a hotline call if I ever decide to let any of my clients babysit.
Wow! How awesome. They must really love you a lot, Leslie. I bet that makes you feel good! That's so fun and awesome. Yay!
~Kathryn
What a great group! And you look as cute as ever!
i might have a babysitting proposal for you...i want to make some curtains for my new apartment, but am a sewing moron, so i'm wondering if maybe i can trade some babysitting time for some curtain sewing tutorials? we can discuss details later! :) p.s.- ate the rest of my cupcakes last night and felt sick to my stomach! but they were so so good!
You might need a little Pi Phi angel something from me ... just an idea :)
You look fantastic!!! I love that they did that in their show. So fun.
oh my word I saw that photo and thought- OH DEAR that is not a pretty girl!! Sheww, Glad it was a guy!
You look great!
Post a Comment