Thursday, April 8, 2010

Stop This Train

Last month, Jonathan and I splurged on one last "big" date night before the baby comes and went to hear John Mayer play at the FedEx Forum. As we made our way to the arena, we realized that it was March 19th.

Exactly three years ago, we said goodbye to MamaDot, Riggins' namesake.

We marvelled at how much has happened in those three years. In the blink of an eye we had gone from a very dark place in our lives--full of loss, full of change, full of uncertainty--to a beautiful, expectant time when all seems to be right with the world. Two moves, three states, two jobs, five schools, two careers. The loss of two more cherished family members. The pending arrival of another.

And it all happened so, so fast.

It was a bittersweet realization, feeling so much happiness, growth, and potential in this phase of our lives, while acknowledging that the loss and letting go are necessary accomplices to moving forward.

During that time three years ago, John Mayer's Continuum album was released, and two songs on that album particularly resonated with that phase of our lives: Stop this Train and Heart of Life. In the grand scheme of Mayer's work, pretty obscure songs, so I had no expectation that he would play them at the show that night.

He opened with some big, full-band selections, and after awhile transitioned to his accoustic guitar. And there in the silence of that big arena, that familiar, rhythmic undercurrent that sounds so much like a train chugging along the tracks began....



And if it couldn't get any better, he followed it with The Heart of Life...



And that was it. The only two accoustic songs he played all night. And it was as though he had been riding in the car with us and knew that those songs were exactly what we needed to hear on that sentimental evening. Missing loved ones, reflecting on our losses, contemplating how on earth we were about to become parents, and knowing that the train isn't going to stop anytime soon. Tears streamed down my face as I soaked up that moment, one hand in my husband's, the other on my growing son.

These last few weeks of pregnancy have surprised me with a few periods of sadness. An acknowledgement that these five years of marriage, of just the two of us, have been so sweet. We have really sucked the marrow out of the past five years and have no regrets as we begin this new chapter. And while I know that things are about to get even better than I could ever imagine, I occasionally have this slight panicked feeling that things are only going to go faster from here.

While there is more joy ahead, there is also more letting go.

While there is so much to gain, there is so much to lose.

When I want it all to slow down, I know it is going to fly by in the blink of an eye.

And yet that is life, right? The train doesn't stop. But I do know that the heart of life is good, and that is what makes it worth moving forward and embracing the next phase with open arms.

Thanks, John.

7 comments:

Katie said...

This was great, Leslie. It's so good to recognize the huge life change that's coming. And yes, things will only get better, but it's okay to mourn the life left behind.

But, really, you aren't leaving anything behind. Those experiences are the pieces to the puzzle that have created the backdrop for the next phase of your life. And what a beautiful legacy to build from!

Kaitlin said...

Just this morning I reflected on how quickly life is going by as I packed away a few of the sweet little newborn outfits Leighton has outgrown (all the while teary-eyed). I must say, this post got me misty-eyed again! In the last few weeks of my pregnancy I definitely had moments of sadness--we were so excited to meet her, but I was also mourning the end of life as we knew it (just the two of us) and also the end of a wonderful experience carrying my first baby.I think your outlook is wonderful! I must say, life gets better every day with a baby :)

Meredith said...

I've never been able to listen to "Stop This Train" without crying. It's absolutely perfect.

I can only imagine what you're going through right now--so many mixed emotions of the past and the future all about to collide! But I also know if ANYONE can handle it, it's you, my dear. Can't wait!

Rachel DeCarolis said...

Wow - beautifully written!

Erin said...

Oh, I so remember how you feel, and I felt it at just about the stage you're in right now. So excited at what is to come, but a little sad/nervous to have so much change coming your way. I remember reading in my (somewhat-cheesy-but-very-profound) pregnancy devotional that it is okay to mourn the loss of the life you had before baby, but to try to view the new life as simply a 'new normal' for you and hubby. Not everything HAS to change--adding baby into your lives rather than 100% changing your lives to accommodate baby. This outlook has helped me maintain sanity this past month. I totally understand your feelings. You are right where you should be on this journey--savor these last few weeks as just the two of you, and you will LOVE when it becomes the three of you! Great post, friend. Loved the honesty.

Michelle said...

thanks for sharing...that was beautiful.

Unknown said...

I often read your blog, but I never comment (i'm awful, I know!). You put tears in my eyes this morning. My husband is in med school and I am in law school. I often feel the same way...life goes slow for a while, then all of a sudden something happens and it's flying by and all you can do is enjoy the ride. Beautiful post...Thank you :)