Yesterday, I was a creeper.
There are just some times in life when you know you are going to weird someone out, but you just can't help yourself.
We were in front of the peaches, there in the produce department of Super Target. As she breezed behind me, she carried with her a soft, sweet scent that stopped me in my tracks.
I knew that scent.
"Gosh, these peaches are hard as rocks," she said.
"They sure are," I agreed, trying to keep my sniffing as subtle as possible.
"I'm sorry, but would you happen to be wearing Design perfume?" It came out of my mouth before I could factor in the awkward factor that was about to follow.
"Why yes, I am," the woman cautiously replied.
And before I knew it, I was going on and on about how I only know two other girls in the whole world who wear that perfume and they are two of my dearest friends and I just love that scent and oh how it makes me miss them and nobody wears that perfume and can you believe it???
I'm sure that woman is still talking about the crazy lady by the peaches. Perhaps she at least left with a compliment that she smelled nice? One can only hope.
I don't typically get so excited about things like that, and I definitely try to avoid assaulting women in the produce aisle over their fragrance choices. But there in the middle of Target, I was transported back to a small group meeting in the basement prayer room of Kerr Dorm, a cozy booth in the soda fountain of the Delta Cafe, a fort made from bunk beds in Taylor Residence Center, a sleepless night before a wedding day. Design perfume is Kenan and Abby. And I love those girls. So therefore I love the lady in Target who smells like them.
I know. Creeper. At least I am self-aware.
Isn't it crazy how the brain connects smell and memory? What are some of your scented memory-triggers?
And for fun...a picture of Carrie, Kenan and Emsleigh (who is now over a year old...cut it out!), me, and Abby (pregnant with Gavin, who is now a year old!) Carrie, let me know when you get a signature scent and I'll be sure to harass my fellow shoppers over you too :)

2 comments:
that's funny...i did a similar thing to a lady in minneapolis airport this summer, but come to find out, she knew my husband and lived in fayetteville - so crazy! and i'm so jealous yall have a super target! i love those!
so i am teary-eyed over the memory of you and abby watching movies with me, sick as a dog, in the 'fort' during finals week. i miss you!
Post a Comment