Monday, September 20, 2010

Fulfilled

I'm having a little self-awareness moment and need to process through it by blogging.  But before I do that, I feel the need to preempt my thoughts with a disclaimer.  The following post simply articulates my personal feelings toward motherhood and career for this season of my life.  Key word: PERSONAL.  I am not criticizing anyone else's decisions, but just working through my individual realizations about these areas of my life.  The End.  

Resigning from my job was a bittersweet decision that came at the end of my pregnancy.  I loved my job, particularly the intensely relational nature of my work, and I loved the environment of academia.  But I also knew that for several reasons--including financial--being a stay-at-home mom was the right choice for me.  Nevertheless, I felt that I needed some sort of non-mom professional outlet for my career-oriented side.  An opportunity to stay connected with a field that I love, and with a demographic (college students) that I feel passionate about.

So when an opportunity for part-time teaching presented itself, I jumped at the chance.  My prayers were not oriented around whether or not to teach, but whether I should teach one section or two.  A wise friend recommended that I start small, so I committed to teaching one course that met two days a week.  I was thrilled about the opportunity and thought that this would be the perfect way to fill the void left in the absence of my job.

It was only one week into this commitment that I had a major realization:

There is no void.  

I didn't need this like I thought I did.  To my own surprise, I am very content with this season of my life as a stay-at-home mom.  The avenues for connection that I had already arranged for myself--Bible Study Fellowship, MOPS, and leading a Bible study for some of the college girls I got to know through work--have been just the right amount of involvement for companionship, challenge, and adult conversation.  

I find myself resenting the preparation time that my class requires and feeling frustrated rather than challenged by my very difficult group of students. (Today I had THREE students asleep on their desks and only TWO students had read the chapter before class...very, very different from my teaching experience at a private liberal arts college.  And this was during a group discussion!  I'm not even lecturing!)  I find myself regretting this commitment.  I find myself wondering if my prayers should have been about whether to do this at all, rather than just how many classes to teach.

And yet, I suppose it was good for me to have this experience.  To test the waters and determine that, yes, for this season of my life I am content without a professional outlet.  That I'm ok with "just" being a mom right now, and that doesn't make me dumb or boring or a has-been.  That this new job of mine is the most challenging, refining thing I've ever done.  That I don't need to punch a clock or sit at a desk in order to make an impact on this world.  

I will fulfill my commitment.  I will finish out the semester.  But I will politely decline any other offers to teach next semester.  And I will take on stay-at-home motherhood with the full confidence that there is no other student I'd rather teach.
 
 

13 comments:

Melissa said...

totally related to the part where you prayed about how many sections to teach...not whether or not you should even teach! Made this mistake when I enrolled for a year in Ph.D program (my mistake was costly...is STILL costly). I find this post beautiful, in the sense of demonstrating how vastly things CHANGE when you have a baby (your desires, passions, perspectives, and such) and being open to letting God continue to mold you through it. Just when we think He's finished with us and we have a feel for how our life is going to go and what we want to do, we find He's still not finished yet :)

Erin said...

Well said. You are wise, friend! I, too, am learning just how wonderful this Mommy job is each day. :)

Holly said...

Very moving post!

Katie said...

What a beautiful post!!

Meredith said...

Wonderful post, friend. You definitely have a way with words!

Christi said...

I love that "there is no void." I've been teetering on the edge of working mom/stay at home mom. I’ve come to realize that I probably won't look back and wished that I had worked more, but I may regret that I didn't spend more time with Sean.
Glad you were able to at least see what it’s like doing some work. And glad it’s only a one semester commitment.

Brandi said...

Thank you for processing on the blog for us all to read. In a weird way, hearing your story makes me that more confident in my decision to teach part-time. I had no idea that you were doing such a thing. Aren't babies just the craziest little life alterers ever. Thank you again for your honesty and sincerity.

mckenziegordon said...

I'm so glad you are getting to stay home with Riggs. He is blessed by it to! Well said.

Sweet Simplicity said...

That photo is precious!! Definitely needs to be framed.

Haley Nicodemus said...

Love. This. Post.

Brie said...

I am a SAHM and LOVE it! As soon as I got pregnant, I let my employer know that I would work until the end of my pregnancy and then I would be done! And I haven't looked back yet! I love it more than anything I have ever done and the financial sacrafices are worth it to my husband and I. Hang in there with your job... Finish well and keep looking forward to next semester when you have your little one all to yourself!

Whitney said...

Go Leslie! Your little guy is just a doll.

Auburn said...

Beautiful and vulnerable post Les. ...I secretly knew it was coming. ;) Miss you sweet friend.