Monday, September 20, 2010

Two of My Favorite Things: A Recipe and a Pun


Last week I was looking for a quick and healthy meal.  I whipped up this pretty little dish and thought you might enjoy it too.  This is one of those things that is more a method than a recipe.  That is pretty much how I cook: lots of basic methods for a variety of dishes (pastas, soups, quesadillas, enchiladas, lasagnas, curries, beans/grains, stir fries, roasts) that I just alter based on what I have on hand.

Black Beans and Quinoa


Cook up some quinoa (an awesome little whole grain that is a complete protein; great if you're keeping an eye on carbs or bored with rice!).  Typically you can assume 1 c. of grain to 2 c. water.  Boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and allow it to cook until all the liquid is soaked up and the grains are nice and fluffy.  Season with salt.

Meanwhile, dump a can of black beans into a saucepan.  Season with any of your favorite mexican seasonsings; I love cumin, chili powder, smoked Spanish paprika, and a lil cayenne.  Bring to a simmer and let them hang out.

Swirl a little olive oil in a skillet and bring to medium-high heat.  Add a sliced onion and sliced bell peppers to the pan, season with salt and pepper, and saute until soft and caramelized.

Now, grab a bowl.  Scoop in some quinoa and top with a scoop of black beans and a scoop of sauteed onions and peppers.  Top with whatever fixings you have on hand: salsa, avocado, fresh cilantro, cheese (feta or queso fresco would be fantastic).

A beautiful, colorful, and healthy meal in about 20 minutes!

Just for laughs...


As we were eating, Jonathan asked what quinoa is.  Is it a form of rice?

"No, it's a grain all to itself, not a form of another grain," I replied.  "You know, not like how wheat can be bulgar or whatever."

To which Jonathan responded,

"Oh baby, I love it when you talk bulgar to me."  

Get it?  Bulgar?  Vulgar?

There are few things I love more in life than a good pun, and they are made even better when they come from the mouth of my husband (who LOVES to tease me for my shameless use--or abuse--of this delightful component of the English language).

A good meal.  A good laugh.  Just the right way to end a day!

4 comments:

Kaitlin said...

Haha, I always love a good pun. And, that recipe sounds delicious! I never know what to do with quinoa...

Caroline said...

Ha! That looks delicious!

Erin said...

Yum, looks good!

Dayla Rowland said...

That looks delicious and beautiful all at the same time. Thanks for sharing!