Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Candy Man Can

The snow managed to stay around for another day, and the frosting of white makes everything look Christmasy. Too bad Christmas was last month. But it got me to thinking about a little something that made my 2008 Christmas celebration just that much better than those before. And, lucky you, I'm gonna share.

This past December left me with a lot of time on my hands. With a husband studying non-stop for three weeks of final exams, a girl has got to get creative! So when Martha Stewart published a recipe for gingerbread caramels, I decided it was time to try my hand at candy-making.

Honestly, I was a bit intimidated by the whole endeavor. I am quite the adventurous cook, but something about stirring a bubbling vat of boiling sugar that reached Hades-like temperatures (as indicated by my equally overwhelming candy thermometer) made me shake in my L.L. Bean fleece-lined slippers just a bit.

But I had no reason to be afraid. The process, though time-consuming, was quite simple. Therapeutic, even. After the boiling and temperature-watching part, you simply pour the caramel onto a well-greased jelly-roll pan and let it sit for 24 hours. The next day, you turn the firmed-up caramel out onto a greased cutting board and cut the caramel into bite-sized morsels.
Then you wrap the pieces in little candy papers or foil...
And the results?

Oh. My. Word.

If you like anything that can be described as creamy, buttery, salty, sweet, spiced, chewy, Christmasy, delicious, rich, or satisfying, then just step right up. They were divine. Not to mention the fact that everyone you know suddenly things you are a domestic goddess for whipping up homemade candy and acting like it ain't no thang.

Don't feel like making it yourself? No worries. Because these dandies are going to be making an appearance at our home for years to come, so just stop by our house in the month of December and these will be in stock! (Or maybe I should start my own mail order company? Now that's an idea!)


8 comments:

Whitney said...

Yum! Never in my life have I made candy. Those look great!

Erin said...

I'd order some right now. Those look YUM. Remember your foray with spaghetti squash? You ARE an adventurous cook! ;) Do you still use that? I can't ever find it in my grocery store.

Tristan said...

I do not have the patience!

Unknown said...

and this is why we have "The Poe Award." you would.

Melissa said...

wow - super impressive!!!!

Pleasant Living said...

I LOVE caramels! Candy-making is extremely intimidating, isn't it? Something about the thermometer, I think.

Krissi Dallas said...

Oh my gosh, I only ever DREAM of being this domestic. You are amazing for doing all you do and still making time to be Martha Stewart. (You and Erin both!)

Michelle said...

okay, so i tried it today...we'll see in 24 hours how they turn out. i'm excited!!! thanks for the inspiration!