Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Cookies for Health

Cookies are good for you. I swear. Now, as much as I love a good chocolate chip cookie loaded with Girardelli 60% bittersweet chips and Plugra, sometimes a girl (and her trusty sidekick, who has quite the sweet tooth) needs a treat that isn't going to make her want to take a nap immediately following its consumption. This little beauty does the job just right at our house. Okay, okay...I'll be the first to admit that you will be slightly aware of the absence of butter and white sugar, but I promise they are still quite yummy and just the cure for that, "It's 8:30 p.m. and I want something sweet but don't feel like doing anything complicated or feeling like a guilty cow afterward" kind of feeling, much like the one I had tonight. And, yes, I am fully aware that the previous sentence was a horrific run-on. But it's my blog, so that's allowed.

HEALTHY OATMEAL COOKIES
(Adapted from Martha Stewart Everyday Food)

Leave the Kitchenaid on the counter for this one...all you need are two bowls, a spoon, and a cookie sheet. And an oven, but that's a given, right? Oh, and you might need a big glass of cold milk too.

1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. cinnamon
1/3 c. vegetable oil (I use canola)
2/3 c. packed dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1 t. vanilla
1/2 c. oats (old-fashioned, not quick-cooking)
1/2 c. raisins

Preheat oven to 350. In a medium bowl, combine flours, baking powder, and cinnamon. In another bowl, combine oil, sugar, egg, and vanilla. Add flour mixture to wet mixture and stir to combine. Mix in oats and raisins. Drop spoonfuls onto baking stone, or a greased (or parchment-lined) baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

5 comments:

Joe and Whitney said...

Leslie, I would like to point out that the Kitchenaid is not only for the ladies... I've been known to use it on occasion.-Joe

Leslie said...

Ha! I was seriously about to go in and edit that. I'm always getting on to Jonathan to join in the cooking, and as soon as I reread it I thought "I need to take out ladies!" Real men cook, Joe.

Kinsey said...

I know. I'm so sorry that other moms call it a "club" . . . it sounds so exclusive. Yuck.

Meredith said...

you had me at "cookies."

unfortunately, you lost me at "raisins." i guess i can pretend i never saw that ingredient and go without.

happy you're transitioning to blogger. I think you'll love it. :)

Whitney said...

Look how much I love your blog!!!!