I know I'm jumping the gun just a bit on the giving of thanks. Of course, I'd like to say that I have a regular habit of acknowledging my blessings and giving thanks for them in the moment. And sometimes I do. But sometimes, IT takes over.
You know IT, don't you?
That discontented, jealous, covetous, grumbling brat of a little child that sometimes takes root in your soul, reminding you of everything that you don't have/should have/will have/have and don't want?
I wish I were alone in my struggle with IT, but I'm afraid that the very core of our being, when it's all said and done, is IT. IT took over my head for a bit last night, and she wasn't pretty. And as IT reared her ugly head, I was reminded of a truth that came into my life recently. There in the middle of my kitchen, I yelled at IT. I told IT the truth:
"GRUMBLING AGAINST CIRCUMSTANCES IS GRUMBLING AGAINST GOD!"
I heard a reply...
"What???"
No, I'm afraid IT doesn't actually have a voice. That was just Jonathan, wondering why in the world I was yelling random self-help statements from the kitchen.
I yelled it again, partly to repeat myself for Jonathan, and partly to make sure that IT heard me.
IT did. And IT is not gonna like what else she has coming. So forgive my premature giving of thanks; I just need to give IT a piece of my mind:
I am thankful for...
The Big Things...
- God's provision of a job in my field, just in time
- God's sovereignty in opening the way for Jonathan to attend optometry school in Memphis. I cannot tell you how often I thank the Lord that I am not in Talequah, Oklahoma! God knew that this city would be a perfect fit with our personalities and interests. And that I would waste away in a town like Talequah!
- God's guidance to a new church that challenges us in new ways
- God's goodness in rewarding Jonathan's obedience to leave his career in finance and trust his leading into a new career in optometry. It is such a blessing to see him so fulfilled, challenged, and successful in this new chapter of his life.
- God's sustaining grace in our marriage as we explore what it means to be in new roles, in a new place, and in a new income bracket!
- God's provision of an adorable, cozy little house that is just perfect for us. And landlords who take amazing care of us and who we genuinely enjoy spending time with! Double score!
- God's blessing of precious friends who still manage to keep in touch, and sweet families who support us and never pressure us to do life in a way other than what is true to us.
The Little Things:
- Little Weber Poe. In a time in my life when I needed a buddy, a purpose, and a few laughs, Weber bounded in (quite literally) and stole my heart! She keeps us active, disciplined, and entertained.
- Cafe Eclectic. Pumpkin donuts, brie and pear sandwiches, and the best darn cafe au lait a girl could ever drink. A cozy interior, and a sunny porch where Weber can join us and all the waitresses and patrons can google over her. All within a 5 minute walk from my front door.
- Shelby Farms and Overton Park. I love having such beautiful land to enjoy so close to our home!
- My bedroom has a fireplace in it! And I have a walk-in pantry. Bliss.
- Bible Study Fellowship. I have been so blessed to study God's Word each week with such a diverse group of women.
- Tivo.
- Google Messenger, Facebook, and Blogging. It is such a gift to be able to stay connected with friends and loved ones, and to meet new people who give me wonderful ideas for cooking and decorating, challenging perspectives on being a wife and mother, and who remind me that I am normal. Nasty as the Internet may be at times, I am very thankful for these little perks!
- My snakeskin pumps.
- Super Target, Fresh Market, and the Williams Sonoma/Pottery Barn Outlet.
- My local public library, NPR radio, and PBS. I hereby swear that someday, when I actually have some extra cash flow, I will finally call in and become a supporter of these wonderful organizations that keep me learning and entertained.
- www.pandora.com
So there. I am blessed. I am thankful. I have all that I need and am exactly where I need to be. How'd you like that, IT?
8 comments:
I am going to have to try this Cafe Eclectic! it is down the road from me and I pass by it often,but have never ventured in. Now I will have to go see if it is really that good!
This post is sooo cute! And I know exactly what you mean about IT!! It happens to us all. I really try to keep IT under control! But sometimes, IT get's out and it's ugly :)
Hi! I'm Mandy, from up in Alberta, Canada - I've been following your blog for a little while. I love your writing. This post was great. It made me look inside myself and find IT. And give IT a very stern talking to. So thanks. :-)
When I'm feeling IT start to rear it's ugly head, I go do something nice for someone else. It always helps me to put things into perspective and look at the bigger picture. Good for you for not letting such negative thoughts ruin your holidays! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving! =)
I just found your blog and I love it! And I especially loved this post! It's good to be reminded that giving thanks should be ALL the time and not just on one day a year!
And, I too, love Cafe Eclectic!
Some of your "big" thanks are the same as mine as far as the hubbies go...such a big risk, but so wonderful to see them fulfilled. Praise God!
And sexy pumps are SO something to be thankful for! ;)q
beautiful words, Leslie!
Post a Comment