Monday, November 17, 2008

Temptation Island...or Parking Garage

It is a well known fact that coffee these days is entirely overpriced, and that one easy way to whittle down on the spending is to eliminate these fancy-shmancy java beverages from your daily/weekly repertoire. I am normally very good about that. Normally. And normally I avoid Starbucks as much as possible, preferring that my money go to the local (and far more tasty) Cafe Eclectic in my neigborhood. But when those red cups come out, and that Starbucks menu starts dancing with words like "Gingersnap," "Eggnog," "Peppermint Twist," and "Pumpkin Spice," all will-power is abandoned.

To add insult to injury, my daily parking garage of choice (actually, it is my parking garage of demand, since I am paying $30/month to park there, and only there, on campus. OBU students who complain about parking: shut it) has a Starbucks in it! So on a morning like this, when I ran out the door without my home-brewed mug o' joe, how is a girl to resist the siren call of a gingerbread latte that is right smack in the line of her daily stroll to the office? I have yet to figure that out. But I have been enjoying my latte this morning. I'll try not to make it a habit.

8 comments:

Heather said...

I hear ya! But it is so hard to not want to have christmas in a cup. And I know you have more coffee houses there than here in OKC. I do miss our Starbucks times.

the aldrich family said...

Hi, Leslie!! Sooo good to hear from you on our blog . . . I know you two will be headed this way again soon, so when you do, you better look us up! We have tons of catching up to do. Your blog is adorable. You should do it for a living :) email me: grandpasgirl0617@hotmail.com

lots of love--rebekah aldrich

Shan said...

peppermint twist is the way to go! This is the only time of year i will spend money at Starbucks and it is so so worth it

Shara said...

I agree, there is something very magical about those red cups!

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

I, too, am a pushover for the red cups. As a matter of fact, when the red cups appeared a couple of weeks ago, I practically shreaked...THE RED CUPS ARE HERE! and the gal behind the counter apparently thought I was nuts!

Christie said...

I do not usually drink Starbucks. Like you, I try to avoid it. But when I saw/heard a commercial saying that it was indeed the season again for peppermint hot cocoa, I will honestly say I got a bit excited. Fortunately, it is easy for me to resist temptation because I don't go by a Starbucks nor do I go to a Starbucks to get it myself- I have a coworker who goes daily and if I want one, I can just say "yes please," and if I don't, I just say "no thanks." Good luck with the temptation- but also be sure not to avoid it completely! It's good to treat yourself once in awhile!

Creole Wisdom said...

Let go, and let starbucks ; )

Did you picture entry of the cup do it for ya?

Starbucks is of the devil. I am sure of it!

Pleasant Living said...

I have the hardest time resisting all holiday items - food, gifts, decor! I think holiday-themed sweaters are about the only thing that I am able to forego without an internal battle.