Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Go Make Yourself a Quesadilla...

Anyone catch the Napoleon Dynamite reference in the title? I know it is so 2006, but I sure did love that movie.


Remember how I told you about that awesome quesadilla recipe? Wait no longer.

Meet Susan. (Susan, if you're still popping by the blog every once in awhile, HELLO

Susan is Jonathan's aunt. She lives just outside of Melbourne, Australia.

I want to be her when I grow up.

Aside from her saavy fashion sense, her knack for gardening, her dedicated attendance at Pilates class, her witty sense of humor, and her love for sailing, one of my favorite things about Susan is her way with food. This chick can cook.

When we visited the Down Under chapter of the Landes family last Christmas, each night was a veritable feast. Lamb burgers with tabbouleh and yogurt sauce, spaghetti and meatballs, turkey with all the fixings (as seen above)...I could go on. I left that visit with a new arsenal of recipes to try, including one for quesadillas that she made to accompany a dinner of fajitas and other Latin yummies.

These quesadillas are simple to make, yet complex in flavor. The bean filling freezes well, so you can do as I do and make a double batch to freeze for a night when you don't quite feel like cooking. One bite, and I am instantly transported to an evening around the double-wide dinner table, surrounded by family, with an Australian summer breeze pouring through the windows. Not so bad in the middle of a gloomy Memphis winter.

SUSAN'S QUESADILLAS

Ingredients:

1 yellow onion, roughly chopped

1 clove garlic

1/3 c. sundried tomatoes in oil, drained

1 T. olive oil

1 t. cocoa (I prefer Dutch processed or Hershey's Special Dark)

1 t. ground cumin

1/2 t. ground chili powder

1/2 t. smoked paprika

1 can kidney beans, draiend

1 T. lemon juice

12 tortillas (I used whole grain)

Feta Cheese, crumbled (I used tomato basil flavored) or goat cheese

Cheddar cheese, shredded

Chopped cilantro leaves

Baby spinach

Olive oil for brushing.

Directions:

Place the onion and garlic in a food processor and process until finely chopped. Set aside. Process the sundried tomatoes in the food processor until smooth; set aside. Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add the tomatoes, cocoa, cumin, chili powder, and paprika and cook for 2 minutes until fragrant. Add the beans and lemon juice and cook for 3-4 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon the mixture back into the food processor and pulse until roughly chopped but still retaining texture.

Spread half of the tortillas with the bean mixture. Scatter with feta or goat cheese, cheddar, cilantro, and baby spinach leaves. Top with remaining tortillas and brush with olive oil on both sides. Grill on an outdoor grill, grill pan, or skillet for 2 minutes on each side or until the outsides are toasted and the insides are melted. Cut into wedges and serve with lemon or lime wedges, sour cream, and salsa if desired.




1 comment:

Pleasant Living said...

Wow! That sounds yummy! But, I would never get Brian to eat it. He hates feta. I don't get it. I love it!