Friday, January 30, 2009

Warning: Scantily Clad Swedish Pop-Stars Below

Last weekend, Jonathan and I watched this:
Now, aside from the less than stellar choreography and the fact that Pierce Brosnan might have the worst voice ever recorded on a major motion picture musical (he did receive a Razzie nomination for his performance), it was kind of fun to watch. Meryl Streep kills it as always, the scenery is beautiful, and Colin Firth is just as adorable as ever.
One problem remains. Ever since watching the movie, Jonathan and I have been compulsively singing songs by these folks:
Yep. ABBA in all their tin-foiled glory.

We can't help ourselves. The songs are stuck in our brains, spinning over and over until we have to just blurt out the lyrics at the top of our lungs. "Waterloo" "Honey, Honey" "Mama Mia" "Take a Chance on Me." They're all represented, phrases from one song leading to the chorus of another. It is a sickness. We can't stop.

This morning, as Jonathan shaved and I took a shower, the melodies of ABBA took over in full force and we just let them all out in one final dose. Perhaps if we gave in to the overwhelming urge to release our inner Swedish pop star, the obsession would wane and new, less addictive songs could come into our lives.

So we belted it out, baby. And if anyone had ever seen that sight (or heard it, for that matter), they would probably commit us to an institution. Or sign us up for American Idol (not as potential contenders but as those pitiful early auditions that make you hide behind a pillow). But I think we made ABBA proud.

(Just don't tell them that our version of "Take a Chance on Me" draws heavily from the version performed by Andy on The Office, complete with the "take a chance, take a chance, take a chance" bass line and the pause for, "This is all I ask of you, Angela!")

10 comments:

Meredith said...

As you probably read in an earlier blog post from me, I am also a huge ABBA fan. Take a Chance on Me--love it. I was a little disappointed in the movie with how they sang that song. I was hoping it'd be a big musical finale and instead it was a bit of a let-down.

Poooor Andy. :)

Whitney said...

Oh man! My mom, sis-in-law and I all went to see this movie together and we all immediately headed to wal-mart to buy the soundtrack! I loooooooooove those songs!!! And you're right - Pierce should never sing. Such a fun movie.

TLF said...

This movie is VERY populare around my house!
My kids (7&2) know the soundtrack by heart! Hehehe.. :)

By the way, Love reading your blog! ;)

Katie said...

That's hilarious!! I never saw the movie, but I saw the show in Las Vegas. And yes, I'm pretty sure we were singing ABBA for a LONG time after that!!

I'm glad Josh and I aren't the only ones who belt it out around the house ... :)

Heather said...

I love ABBA! But I didn't like the movie after seeing the musical in London.

Unknown said...

A couple who sings together (especially ABBA), stays together!

keely said...

My sister, Mom and I saw it when it came out, then my mom burned us copies of the soundtrack. You should hear Noah and his cousins sing "Mamma Mia!" Aiden's (my 5 year old nephew) favorite is "Don't go wasting your emotions."

Erin said...

HA, love picture this! You guys are too funny! ;)

AMIT said...

Lovely Pics.

BPO work from home

Anonymous said...

Nice blog.Keep it up.

Work From home

Work From home jobs
Data Entry Jobs