Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A New Holiday Classic

Well, it is far from new, but it is new to me!

Last May I met a coworker from another department who is an absolute movie buff. By movie buff I mean that she has Word documents with alphabetized lists of her entire collection, complete with descriptions, critiques, and cross-references. The girl knows her flicks, and I am reaping the benefits by allowing her to introduce me to all the great movies that I have missed out on in life thus far (I feel like Kate Winslet as Iris in The Holiday with her recommendations from Arthur Abbott...gumption!). She is currently introducing me to some Christmas classics, and this weekend I watched what just might become my new favorite Christmas movie...


This film was just adorable from start to finish, if you're into the simple, predictable plot and comedy that are so typical of the good ole' days of film. And I just so happen to be into that sort of thing.

When a sailor returns from WWII after weeks of starvation, he lays in his hospital bed reading magazine articles featuring the delicious menus and remarkable homekeeping of Elizabeth Lane, the Martha Stewart of her day. His nurse writes to the head of the magazine and gets the sailor an invitation to Elizabeth Lane's Connecticut farm for Christmas.

The only problem is that Elizabeth Lane is actually a single, childless, New York apartment-dweller who can't cook! Her attempts to pull off the act lead to a hilarious and sweet Christmas in Connecticut that will leave you all warm and fuzzy inside. Add some hot cocoa, a sleepy puppy, and a Snuggie, and you've got the perfect winter evening!

And, yes...I just said Snuggie. More to come on that later, but in the mean time, go rent this movie and add it to your list of holiday favorites!

3 comments:

Pleasant Living said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I just ordered the movie online. We've been trying to find a good movie for a Christmas Eve party at our house.

Dayla Rowland said...

Okay, your movie buff friend and I may be kindred spirits. I also have Word Documents with my alphabetized collections complete with descriptions.

They made a remake of this movie a few years back which is also cute. Not nearly as cute as the original, I'm sure, but also worth checking out.

Katie said...

Hey friend! I left an award for you on my blog, if you'd like to see it!