Another doctor's appointment under my belt, and all is well!
Baby Boy was awfully sleepy this morning, so she really had to poke and prod to get him to wiggle around enough that she could see all his little organs! (He takes after his mother already; waking up is a process, people!) Ultrasound technology never fails to amaze me. While I see the obvious--a head, limbs, etc.--the tech is pointing out organs, the placenta, and all kinds of crazy stuff! At one point, she told us that she was going to check the four ventricles of the heart, and I thought to myself, "Ummm, yeah...and how are you going to do that on something so tinsy???" But then she zoomed in and Voila! four tiny little boxes, beating in sync, clear as day. And rest assured that he is definitely still a boy. I've got a nice full frontal shot to prove it, but I'm trying to get off on the right foot and avoid embarassing my son before he even enters the world!
It was so fun to have my parents there for this ultrasound! When they had children 30 and 27 years ago, ultrasounds were only for at-risk cases. I guess I had forgotten that while Mom and Dad had seen ultrasound pictures, they'd never seen one live on a screen! Mom was in tears from the second they turned the volume up on the heartbeat, and Dad was just mesmerized the whole time. It definitely made it even more exciting to have them there! (Mom and Dad, hope the show was worth the drive! ;)
I did, however, get a little scolding. You see, throughout my entire adult life my biggest health shortcoming has been my minimal fluid intake. I can go an entire day without taking in liquids, and I never feel thirsty. It is a problem! So I forget to drink fluids in general, and I'm afraid that I have been only slightly better since I've been pregnant.
Well, apparently the ultrasound technician could tell just from the ultrasound that I am dehydrated. Little did I know, dehydration causes Braxton Hicks contractions, and even though they are too slight for me to feel, I am already having them as evidenced by the ultrasound. Oops. Jonathan, who has nagged me about my lack of hydration since I've known him, gave me a lovely glare from across the room as soon as she mentioned it. So I've received a good kick in the pants and fresh motivation to stay hydrated, and I'm pretty sure I'll have my own personal Water Nazi to make sure it happens! Momma's sorry, Baby!
Last, but not least...the weigh in. I really am fine with the amount of weight I've gained so far, especially when I remember that I'm halfway through this pregnancy. But honestly, even when you know it is all for good cause and within a reasonable amount, I'm not sure I will ever get used to the sight of seeing that little marker on the scale move to the right! It was another good piece of motivation to keep eating healthfully, watching portions, and exercising throughout this pregnancy. (And I had been wondering why the balls of my feet were hurting more when wearing the same pairs of heels that I always wear to work; add an extra several pounds and they are bound to hurt! Good incentive to never be overweight...I love my heels!)
I will leave you with a brilliant piece of clarification from my doctor, for all my prego friends out there. The whole "don't sleep on your back or you will cut off blood supply to your baby" thing? Meh. No worries. True in theory that the weight of your uterus might put a bit of pressure on the anterior vena cava (I should so go to medical school...unless, of course, I got that name wrong. In that case, disregard.) But my doctor said that it is really more of a theoretical thing; as she pointed out, women in labor lying flat on their backs with their uterus contracting like crazy still have babies with healthy, steady heartbeats throughout. So no reason to wake up in a tizzy because you rolled onto your back in the night. Sleep in whatever position is comfortable for you. Unless, of course, your doctor tells you differently. Then do what s/he says. Despite my anterior vena cava antics, I really have no clue what I'm talking about.
Now off to the water fountain I go...
Wednesday, December 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
yeah, i think i remember from my birthing class that dehydration was very common to cause pre term labor! very serious stuff, so keep that bottle at your desk and make yourself drink! I kept hydrated with Dr. Pepper =/ ..and some water...
So glad the visit went well! What a special moment for your parents. Good to know on the back thing. I am a side sleeper by nature, but I'll occasionally wake up on my back in all kinds of panic. Now, I shall calm down a bit! ;)
I thought I was the only weirdo out there that NEVER gets thirsty. It's good to know I'm not alone. I'm so glad everything went well and that Baby Poe is healthy.
Your posts always put a smile on my face. =) So glad to read that baby boy is doing well. What a blessing! I have to really try to drink more water as well...it's not that I'm not thirsty, it's more that I'm too lazy to get up and go pee five million times a day when I drink water like I should. =)
inferior vena cava ;)
ha. are our husband's related somehow? yeah - when i'm pregnant and jason is at the doctor with me is when i get "the glare"...the "I told you so" look from across the room. I swear Jason drinks TOO MUCH water so it makes my measly intake look pathetic (okay - it really is pathetic). My issue is always when they try and draw blood and never can...then they tell me I'm slightly dehydrated (cue husband). Crystal Light - my life saver...even though Jason doesn't think it counts as water. And isn't that ultrasound the most fascinating thing?!!! Glad everything looks great!!!
That's so neat that your parents were there for the ultrasound. Glad to hear everything's going well! And, I feel ya on the water. I try to drink a lot, but other things always sound so much better! I was told to drink more water at one of our appointments and definitely got the same "glare" you mentioned from my husband! The next day I had a large Nalgene bottle sitting in the fridge waiting for me :)
Les, I have been having some serious anxiety about the "don't sleep on your back or you will cut off the blood supply to you baby" thing! I heard this at the beginning, so I have been trying to train myself. However, it never fails, I wake up and I am on my back. Then, I freak out. So, great to hear that I can now relax a bit more at night.
That is awesome that your parents got to be there for this ultrasound. I bet that it was also amazing to see your baby boy again!
Can't wait to see you again and catch up!
Sorry about the mini contractions! I'd love to tell you to drink more water but I'd be a huge hypocrite so I'll keep my mouth shut.
So glad your parents could be there with you--how special!
I totally thought, by the title of your post, that you had decided on a water birth! :)
Drink up, Mama!
As I read through this blog, I was hoping that you would have come to the conclusion that you would from here on out wear a camelback at all times...something to consider! :) Also, I think Jonathan would be a fan!?!?!?!
Hee hee hee
Oh, girl, drink up! I know you don't need anyone else nagging you, but from someone who's parked on the couch for hopefully the next six weeks, you can't drink too much! AND, as a little extra motivation, just imagine the weight gain if you coudn't move around as you wished - I'm cringing just thinking about it!Glad to hear that all is well, and hope you get to see sweet Baby Poe again soon! Sonos are definitely the highlight of pregnancy for me :)
Young lady, DRINK YOUR WATER! I was going into labor at 34 weeks because I was dehydrated!! They made me spend the whole day in the hospital hooked up to an IV and then I sloshed out of there because they pumped me so full. Needless to say, do not get to that point... it's horrible.
Post a Comment