Everyone warned me that a second pregnancy flies by even faster than the first, and they certainly were not mistaken! I have officially reached the 20 Weeks mark and am so thankful to have enjoyed a healthy, uneventful pregnancy thus far. Definitely a blessing that I do not take for granted!
19 Weeks
Fortunately, I feel great! Since turning the corner at 14 weeks, I have enjoyed feeling nausea-free and reasonably energetic for a pregnant lady chasing a toddler around all day. I still catch the occasional nap in the afternoon and I usually go to bed early, but I find myself much more able to keep up with my responsibilities than I was in the first trimester.
I began to feel the baby move very early on this time around--at 13 weeks--and then very sporadically since then. Feeling your baby move is such a blessing and a curse...it's so fun and miraculous to finally feel him, and yet it gives me something to worry about when I haven't felt him for awhile! The other night I was able to feel him kick from the outside for the first time, which is always exciting. I'm looking forward to the day when he is strong enough for Riggins to feel him!
Although Riggins has no idea what is in store, he does say "baby" when patting my belly, and point out babies when he sees one. He says "Hi" to his brother randomly throughout the day, and we pray for him together each night. My prayer is that these boys will be lifelong friends (although I am not naive enough to think that friendship won't be filled with lots of fist fights along the way!)
Now that we know we are expecting another sweet boy, we have narrowed down our name selections to two contenders. With Riggins, I knew his name from day one, so it has been a different experience to feel torn between two choices. I am praying that the Lord will lead us to the perfect choice for this boy!
We will not be doing a new nursery for this little guy, partly because we'll be moving two months after his birth (and yes, we planned it this way...we're insane!), and partly because money is tight and we still love our nursery. The plan is to recreate the nursery in our new home, and to create a "Boys' Room" with two twin beds that the brothers will eventually share. That will be a fun project once we get settled! Until then, baby boy will just sleep in the cradle in our bedroom for the first few months, just like his big brother did. He is saving us a bundle just by being another boy born in April; we really don't need a thing this time around! I do plan to sew a quilt and make a few other little keepsake items so that he has some special things of his own.
The biggest change between this pregnancy and my first has been that I have continued to exercise. Girls, I just cannot say enough about the benefits I have seen from keeping up with Jazzercise and yoga! I feel so much more energetic than I did with Riggins, and I can feel that my body is already handling this pregnancy differently. Keeping up the strength of my abdominal and back muscles has allowed me to maintain my posture (rather than arching my back and jutting my belly forward like I did from very early on with Riggins). This has drastically reduced the discomfort of carrying a little one. It is so nice to experience pregnancy while still feeling strong and healthy! So when your doctor tells you, "Exercise is good for you and the baby," believe her and do it! Now that I've experienced pregnancy with and without it, I am a believer!
My weight gain has been slower this time around, and I think it is because my life is just so much more active than it was two years ago. Back then, I spent most of my day sitting at a desk or in meetings, and I wasn't exercising. Now, I chase a toddler around all day and work out a few times a week. It probably doesn't hurt that I have the benefit of perspective now as well, and I know that it just isn't worth it to indulge every single craving in a quadrupled portion size ;) Moderation was not my forte during my first pregnancy, and it didn't help that my office was located in the same building as a Dunkin Donuts, Taco Bell, Chic fil A, and every other pregnant woman's dream come true!
But have no fear, I am definitely still indulging quite regularly! I can't get enough cheese (what's new? ;), and I can put away citrus fruit faster than a monkey. Seriously, at night I will cut up two grapefruits and just pound 'em while Jonathan tries not to stare with his jaw on the floor. My sweet tooth has been stronger this time around, and I regularly crave cheesecake, brownies, and other gooey treats. With Riggins all I wanted was starchy, salty carbs. One craving that has persisted through both pregnancies, however, is sushi (cooked only, of course!)
20 Weeks
I feel so blessed to be the mother of two sons. So many people want one of each, and while I definitely wouldn't mind having a girl someday, I would be completely content to have a house full of boys. For some reason that is just how I always pictured myself: a boy mom! Although there are moments when Riggins is acting bonkers and I think, "There are going to be TWO of you acting bonkers at the SAME TIME!" (my mental picture goes to Thing One and Thing Two from The Cat in the Hat!), I know that all the craziness, broken bones, and broken household objects will be worth it when I, Lord willing, look at my two grown, godly sons someday.
Here's to another uneventful, healthy 20 weeks (or less!)!


9 comments:
where are ya'll moving to?
You look so great. And there is nothing wrong with bunking little brothers in a room together. Don't have mommy guilty; you're being smart. :)
You look beautiful! And thanks for the reminder to exercise- it's one of the "I should really be doing that" things I haven't been doing. Need to work on it!
Oh and grapefruit sounds delish.
I know how you feel about feeling them move and then not feeling them move. My doctor told me if I haven't felt Allie Beth move in a bit and I'm worried about it, to drink something cold and sweet (like cold orange juice) and that will usually get babies moving.
Usually with Allie Beth all I have to do is rest my arms on my belly and she starts kicking right away. Its like she's saying she need her space, haha!
You look wonderful, Leslie!! Sounds this is a fit, healthy, and happy pregnancy :) And, I love putting the boys together in a room to share. That's exactly what we plan to do if our 2nd child is a girl!
you look beautiful!!
Totally with you on exercising the second time around. I felt so much better. You look great and are halfway there! Can't wait to hear the name!
Congratulations on making it to the halfway point! I'm sure the second half will fly by even faster. And you look fantastic! I exercised somewhat during this pregnancy, but definitely hope to step it up a little bit if there's a next time.
You look beautiful. I am just now catching up...congrats on #2. How exciting!! And Riggins is so stinkin cute!!! you have a beautiful family!!!
Post a Comment