Sunday, November 6, 2011

Thoughts on a Sunday

  • Apparently our kinfolk in Oklahoma have had earthquakes the past two nights in a row.  Between last summer's brutal heat, last winter's ice storms, and the ever-threatening tornado, I sure hope that state can get all of this junk out of its system before we attempt to move back there someday.  It is not making a great sales pitch for me at this point!  
  • What is it with kids and Elmo?  Riggins has one Elmo book.  One day, he kept saying Elmo over and over, so I put on a recorded episode of Sesame Street that I had been saving for a rainy day.  Since then, he has become obsessed with Elmo, asking for him repeatedly throughout the day.  When he comes on the television, Riggs is mesmerized.  He could totally pass on the rest of the Sesame Street gang...he only has eyes for Elmo.  I don't know if it's the red fur, the voice, or what, but something about that lovable little monster just captivates little ones!
  • Daylight Savings just meant that Riggs woke up at 5:45 a.m.  Thank goodness for Elmo, am I right? ("Hey buddy!  Let's watch Elmo while mommy and daddy lay on the couch in a complete fog and wait for the coffee to kick in!  Fun, huh?")
  • Jonathan and Riggins just headed out for a run.  Before he left, Jonathan just asked me if I had ever been running with him.  Considering that I make it a point to only run when someone is chasing me with a weapon, I gave a confident no.  He proceeded to calculate that we have known each other for almost eleven years, and that he has probably averaged at least three runs per week during that time.  Which means that in the 1,720 runs he has averaged over the past 11 years, I have not accompanied him on even one.  He calculated this and declared it as though it were some sort of tragedy in our marriage.  (And let's discuss that he can calculate these kinds of things in his head?  He runs and does math without scratch paper...what a guy!)  My response?  "Ummm...yeah....so?"  Hopefully Riggs will inherit his love for running and can become his running buddy, 'cause it ain't never gonna be me!  
  • I get really lazy on the weekends.  My house is a pigsty right now.  For some reason, the second Jonathan is home I get into vacation mode and let all my routines go by the wayside.  Dishes stay in the sink, toys stay on the floor, laundry piles up.  And then Sunday evening rolls around and I am frustrated by the mess I have to clean up before the week begins.  One of these days I'll learn to maintain my habits through the weekend and avoid this problem all together.  
  • On that note, I'm going to take advantage of an empty house, get off my duff, and tidy this place up!  (Don't worry, I won't work too hard.  It is the Sabbath, after all!)
Have a wonderful week!

3 comments:

Erin said...

Gag. I hate running as exercise. I prefer elliptical-ing and Zumba-ing any day! And Elmo is a big hit around here, too.

Auburn said...

Has Riggs discovered the tiny Elmo on his Pampers? Jude's never watched Sesame Street (tragic I guess, given that he lives in NYC), but he still loves that little Elmo. And, I'm the same way with the weekends and vacation mode...it's always a party when Daddy gets home! :)

Angela W said...

YAY!!! You're blog was restored!!! SOOOO HAPPY for you, and me too. :)