We just said goodbye to Jonathan's parents and brother after a wonderful three-day Thanksgiving visit. This year, I am thankful for our wonderful families. You know that if you can cram three extra adults into our tiny two bedroom, one bathroom home and still be sad when they leave, you've been blessed with a wonderful, fun family!
In the midst of all the Thanksgiving festivities, we managed to fit in a hike at Shelby Farms, a neighborhood walk and playground trip, and a visit to the Zoo. Of course, we did lots of relaxing and playing too!
Watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade with Uncle Todd
I made cornbread dressing, sweet potato casserole, fresh green bean casserole, roasted brussels sprouts with bacon, sour cream pocketbook rolls, cran-raspberry salad, cranberry orange relish, pumpkin praline cheesecake, and fudgy pecan pie. Jonathan's parents were kind enough to send a Greenburg Smoked Turkey from Tyler, Texas, a favorite family tradition of ours. They are delicious, and the best part is that they arrive fully cooked!
After Riggins went to bed each night, we grown-ups watched movies, drank coffee, and ate way too many desserts. Weber enjoyed her fair share of snuggles as well. (Seriously, whoever said you forget about your dog after having kids obviously never met Weber Sue.)
All the action must have worn Riggs out, because on the last day of their visit, he almost made it all the way through the zoo before falling asleep sitting straight up in his wagon. Uncle Todd was kind enough to rescue him from all the head-bobbing (after I got it on video...ha!) and carried him out of the zoo in comfort!
We were so sad to see them leave this morning. It is always hard to anticipate a holiday and then have it fly by so quickly! For some reason it also amplifies how quickly time is flying by. For so long Thanksgiving seems far away, and then suddenly it's here and gone. I suppose it's all a good reminder to slow down and savor these sweet times with family. We have so much to be thankful for this year!
(And on that note, I am also thankful for the kicks and wiggles I am seeing in my belly as I type this post!)



2 comments:
Looks like a wonderful weekend....you sure were busy in the kitchen!
Both the Haynes and Besancon families get Greenburg smoked turkeys for the holidays. They are SO good. Looks like you guys had a wonderful time and congrats again on everything you made!! It all sounded delicious!
Post a Comment