Then, Daylight Savings Time hit. And I've been losing time ever since. Oh, the irony.
I thought it would just take a few days for him to sort out his schedule, but no such luck. One week later, the new routine stands, and I don't know what to do about it. But I sure don't like it.
Riggs is still going to bed around 7:30, but has woken up at 6 a.m. every day since the time change. This means that he is often sleepy in the morning and sometimes needs a nap. Which means he isn't napping as long in the afternoon. The last two days he has only napped about an hour (I try to let him cry/play in hopes that he'll fall back asleep, but no luck). And of course that means he is ready for bed around 7:00, and the cycle continues.
So basically, I'll just admit that I am complaining. I miss the big afternoon nap, and the loss hurts even more considering he had just gotten into the one-long-nap groove. Aside from the whining, I'm asking for suggestions! Any tricks of the trade for getting a routine back? I'm trying to roll with the punches and follow his lead, but I just don't feel like he's getting good quality sleep during the day, and that makes me want to intervene a bit more to get back on track.
Ok. Deep breath. I'm going to go get this crying kid up from his bed, with a joyful heart and a smile on my face! Here's to a better nap tomorrow! :)
5 comments:
I feel you. We are going through the same battle in our house. The past two nights haven't been that bad because I've kept him up a 1/2 hour later than normal-- plus wore him out before bed (wrestling, running, jumping, etc).
Good luck!!
Lucas is doing the same thing! Going to bed at 7:30p and waking up at 6:00a all of the sudden! I've started trying to put him to bed at 7p now and it seems to be helping a little. Getting up at 6a is hard, but at least I know he's getting a good 11 hours of sleep that way. Who knows? Maybe this is his new routine, but waking up at 6a on a Saturday instead of 7:30a makes a huge difference for Mommy!
We're just now getting back into the swing of things in our house, so I totally feel your pain! I have no wisdom, just sympathy. For us the best thing was to just continue with things as usual and eventually they'd work themselves out. Trust me, I know how coveted that afternoon nap is! Hang in there--Riggs will get in a groove again. In the meantime, enjoy a cup of coffee!! :)
The past two days it's affected Lucas' nap too and yesterday he had a rough day at daycare. But, this morning (after doing nothing different last night) I had to wake him up at 6:50a to get ready for daycare!! It might be a one-time thing, but I was happy:) This too shall pass (for both of us)!!
Hi Leslie,
I'm a long-time blog reader but first time commenter and I have a question unrelated to your post. I have to travel to Memphis a good bit with my job and I will be there after Thanksgiving this year. Do you have any "must-see" suggestions for Christmas decorations?
P.S. I really enjoy reading your blog. I don't remember how I stumbled upon it but it's been a joy to read about you and your family.
Thanks!
Post a Comment