Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Three Cheers for 26 Years!

Excuse my rhyming title...I couldn't resist. Do I look older to you? Hey, I'm just glad that I can still wear horizontal stripes without looking chubby. That calls for a celebration! I enjoyed a wonderful 26th birthday on Saturday. We started the day at the farmer's market. I stocked up on tomatoes, chard, herb plants, ground beef, goat cheese, pizza crust, and pears and can hardly wait to make a yummy pizza for dinner tonight. If you're lucky I'll take a picture.

After the market we had a scrumptious breakfast at Cafe Eclectic, the neighborhood hangout that is just a short walk from our house. Their coffee is scrumptious, and Jonathan had a bowl of oatmeal that was out of this world. Who knew oatmeal could make you swoon?

After breakfast, I took Weber to obedience school class #2. She worked on her sit-stay and down-stay commands, as well as heeling and resisting temptations. That didn't go so well, since Weber is a sucker for a good squeakie toy. Poor little girl. Here's the latest pic of our little bandana bandit sitting on her new L.L. Bean bed. She hates the bandana, so this was a one-time occurance!

That afternoon we opened some presents and did some shopping with birthday money. Jonathan bought me these:

I have had my eye on them for some time and they were well worth the wait. I can hardly bear to remove them from my feet! I've always been a barefoot girl, but these hardwood floors are tough on the tootsies. Now I've got these cuties to keep me warm and comfy. Thanks for taking notes, Jonathan! My other major birthday score was found that afternoon. I have been hunting for a mirror to put on our mantel, so when I spotted this puppy a few weeks ago, I made a mental note. When I went back on Saturday, it was half off! Which left me a little extra for some fall decorations. Thanks, Tom and Anne!

We rounded out our celebration with a little dinner at Dino's, another neighborhood joint that is also just a short walk from the Poe casa. Dino's does not have a corking fee, so we even got to take a bottle of wine that we brought back from our trip to New Zealand last January; this was finally a worthy occasion for busting it out! It was just as good as we remembered. When we told our waitress that we just moved in up the block, she grabbed the owner and the other waitresses to introduce us. Between Dino's and Cafe Eclectic, we've got our own little Friends Central Perk or Seinfeld diner! After dinner we met up with some new friends to watch the LSU game. We had so much fun that we ended up skipping the toga party! Maybe next year!

Here's to another great year!




5 comments:

keely said...

Sounds like a glorious birthday! More pictures of your home...I love what I see so far!

Meredith said...

It DOES sound like a wonderful day! And I LOVE the green shoes, those looked fabulous! :) You were right--when you called we were right in the middle of a football game and I couldn't be torn away. Harhar (I actually didn't hear the phone ring). Congrats for still being able to pull off the horizontal stripes!

Katie said...

Happy Birthday!! I am so jealous of your adorable green slippers...I love them! And thank you for your sweet comment. It's all crazy and exciting and sentiments like yours make me even more excited. It means a lot to me!

The Linders said...

I must admit that I'm a little sad you missed the toga party - I was excited to see what you schemed up to wear. If anyone could find a way to make a toga cute while still maintaining dignity, it's you :)

LyndsAU said...

Kinda strange... I just found your blog and apparently we have the same birthday :) Happy belated! :) Love your blog :)