Wednesday, November 4, 2009

14 Weeks

We just wrapped up our latest visit to the doctor. A few highlights:
  • I was anxiously anticipating the "weigh-in" portion of this doctor's visit. Pregnancy is such a strange balance between becoming ok with putting on weight for such an amazing and worthwhile reason, and yet also not going hog wild and overindulging just because I am eating for two (hmm...maybe I shouldn't use the word "hog" when discussing weight gain in pregnant women). I was relieved to see that I have only gained 6 pounds in the first trimester...right on track with the recommended 20-30 pounds overall. We'll see how long I can keep this up, but it was a relief to know that I'm not already behind!

  • We got to listen to the heartbeat via Doppler, and all I can say about that is WOW. The heartrate was 168 and going strong! The nurse found it right away but it was repeatedly muddled by strange swishing noises. She then explained that those noises were the sounds of the baby moving. Unreal. And if the frequency of those swishing sounds are any indication of the movements that I am going to feel eventually, then I am in for quite the ride!

  • As soon as the nurse shut the door, Jonathan and I were alone in the exam room waiting for the doctor. He immediately began to beat-box the sound of the baby's heartbeat while dancing around and rapping, immitating our little baby just rockin' and rollin' in there to the beat. "It's Wednesday mornin'....just chillin' in mama's tummy....what should I do today?....think I'll just hang out here a little longer...." It was probably one of those moments that you just had to be there to witness, but I was dying with laughter. I'm surprised the nurse didn't come back to check on us because we were so rowdy!

  • I was able to chat with the doctor a bit more about some of my labor and delivery questions and was very relieved to find out that the hospital we have chosen is her favorite, that they allow women to be up and moving around during labor (not strapped down and hooked up to a monitor the entire time unless you have an epidural), and that in general they are very accomodating so long as the mother just knows what she wants and speaks up about it. I am not making any assumptions or set birth plan about this experience because I know that ultimately my body is going to do what it wants to do and there is not much I can do to control that. I would like to try for a natural birth experience but I am not going to be upset or disappointed with myself if I decide that I need an epidural. I guess it was reassuring to know that I am going to have the flexibility to make those choices without them thinking I'm some crazy hippie lady.

  • Our next appointment is on December 9th, and we all know what that means...the big SEX reveal! I had really hoped that we could get in on December 2nd, but our doctor wanted me to come in after 5 weeks instead of 4, just so they could see the organ development more clearly. "I know you are concerned about a particular part of the anatomy," she said, "but I'm concerned about the whole anatomy and we will be able to see all of that much better if we wait just a bit longer." Boo. But I definitely want them to be able to check out that little heart and all those other little parts so I guess I can supress my anticipation for one more week!

  • When we hopped in the car after our visit I realized that I forgot to ask my doctor for a swine flu vaccine. I ran back into the office and was thrilled to see Ellen, a friend of mine who also volunteers at the Farmers Market and who happens to be a nurse in my doctor's practice (small world!). I mentioned that I had forgotten to ask for a shot and she just grabbed my file from the front desk, scooted me right back to an exam room, and hooked me up! It pays to have connections, and you can bet that I'll be putting Ellen's number in my phone to call when we head to the hospital someday. She does hospital rounds as well and I'm thinking it could pay off to have a friend on the labor and delivery nursing staff! Need a reason to start volunteering? You might make friends who can step in and give you some perks when it really counts!

  • Not related to this visit, but you should all know that we have ordered our new camera and will pick it up next weekend. This means that belly picks are just around the corner!

6 comments:

Meredith said...

Everything sounds WONDERFUL! And perhaps it's just a tale, but that fast heartbeat means girl, right? So much for my 97% certainty it's a boy. :) I'm glad it all went well and I can't wait for the belly pics!! :)

Tristan said...

Sounds like a baby Girl...we'll see!

I've gained 8ibls in 29 weeks...lol..and I DO eat like a HOG..lol.

Your tiny though..you need to beef up for that baby :)

Christi said...

yay! so exciting! ummm I'm thinking a girl. Not based on the heart rate, or where belly is or how fast your leg hair grows back (yes, seriously someone told me the hair thing is a sex indicator, whose backroads grandma came up with that one?!) But I can totally see yall with a precious baby girl. Either is great tho, obviously! The greatest birth plan is no plan. My doc said "healthy baby, healthy mom" is her birth plan. Can't wait to hear boy or girl! and pictures!

danielle said...

my guess is a baby boy! jacksons first heartbeat was 174... EVERYONE told me he would be a girl because of the fast heartbeat... but i am guessing boy, due to the amount of movement already going on inside your belly! :)

Erin said...

Such a good story! Can't wait for belly pics and baby (ultrasound) pics! :)

Courtney said...

Yay for a healthy heart beat!!!

Can't wait for belly pics!