Monday, November 23, 2009

Instincts

As soon as I saw the two lines on that pregnancy test, my first thought was, "Its a boy."


And so I went through the first few weeks of my pregnancy in a starry-eyed daydream of a little boy in a miniature North Face fleece, loving on his momma, tagging along the hiking trails with his daddy, and playing with his best buddy, Weber.


But then Jonathan confessed that from the moment I told him the news, his gut said that it was a girl. Jonathan has always wanted boys and, truth be known, been terrified at the idea of having a daughter. This is largely due to his thorough awareness of the fact that he would be wrapped around the little finger of said daughter for all of eternity. And this, of course, is a legitimate fear. So the fact that he suddenly thought it was a girl was a remarkable feat for this husband of mine. He was sure of it, and his certainty made me question my initial instincts.


Not wanting to set myself up for the first onslaught of Mother's Guilt (OhmygoodnessIthoughtyouwereaboyandyou'reagirlandIhavenomaternalinstinctsandamafailureasamotheratonly4monthspregnant!!!)

I proceeded to squelch any inklings either way, and enjoyed a state of genuine contentment and excitment whether Baby Poe ended up being a boy or a girl. This made the whole process of going for "the" ultrasound much more fun and far less stressful than if my future success as a mother were hinging on the correct assumptions of my gut.


We arrived at the ultrasound and I nervously proceeded to tell my student's mother about a friend who was told "girl" at 16 weeks and then "boy" at her 19 week doctor's appointment. If it was a girl, I was prepared to say, "Show me the three lines!!!" She reassured me that she only calls it if she is certain.


And suddenly, there was our baby. On the screen. Sleeping. Heart whooshwhooshwhooshing. My heart whooshwhooshwhooshing along with the reminder that there really is a child inside me.


She pressed the censor into my belly, nudging the sleeping baby in hopes that he or she would cut the modesty and show us the goods.


Then, there were two legs. And she laughed. And said, "There's no doubt about it...Are you ready?"


It's a BOY!


And all I could do was laugh. As he scratched his little head, played with his tiny toes, all I could do was laugh with joy as I watched our son.


Looks like I have a bit of mother's instinct after all.


Jonathan has decided that his gut feeling was a subconscious attempt to prepare himself for the likelihood of having a daughter. He is thrilled to have a son, and he is thankful for the time that he though he had a daugher; it brought him to a place where he realized that he actually would be a good "girl dad." Maybe he'll have a chance to prove that someday.


But until then, he is planning many a hiking trip in those matching North Face fleeces...

18 comments:

Beth Miller said...

YAY!!!!! I love that you contemplated your success as a mother by your insticts! ha! This is soo exciting!

Christi said...

YAY!! so so happy for yall!! eeee
Rachel W (from Grace) was dying to know also... maybe i can get her hooked on your blog too. Her due date is May 6th, C-section. Thank you for sharing the sex. It kills me when people don't tell, haha. We'll be praying for the rest of this little guys time in your belly! Oh, yall are going to have so much fun. Now you know what side to go to in BabyGap =)

JGaroutte said...

Let me just say from 2 months of experience, having a boy ROCKS! You guys will have a blast! Congrats again!

A Nerd and A Free Spirit said...

Congratulations! How exciting! Yay for little boys!!! WOO!!!

~Kathryn

Jennifer said...

Aww YAY! Congratulations!!! So sweet.

keely said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

I'm a bit partial to boys, myself. Congratulations!!

Leigh Hutchens Burch said...

I guessed girl: I was wrong. But, I am happy that your gut was right.

Congrats!

When do we get to start hearing about potential names?

Sarah Hudson said...

Congrats! So glad your instinct was right. Hope you're feeling well and that you all have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Pleasant Living said...

What a wonderful announcement! Congratulations to you both! Let the Mini Northface hung begin!

Jordan said...

Congratulations! So glad you chose to find out and that you shared with us! Can't wait for you to blog about names, decorating the baby's room, etc. Such a special time!

danielle said...

yay!!! so excited for you. baby boys LOVE their mommys!!!

THE MAGNESS FAMILY said...

Congrats Leslie I am so happy for you!!! And it is just precious to see your to boys in matching north face jackets. Matt and Jack have matching ones and it is just precious!!!

Sweet Simplicity said...

Congratulations!! That is so exciting. A precious baby boy.

Melissa said...

so exciting!!!! just think about Christmas 2010 when we all get together and all these boys we'll have everywhere! cameron carter will have quite the selection :)

The Grady Family said...

Boys are so fun!! I always wanted a girl but now I am so glad we have a boy! Can't wait to hear the name. And we need some belly pics! I am sure you are so cute! So excited for you!

Jen

Michelle said...

that is SOOO exciting!!! that sounds exactly like my Jonathan when we were pregnant...he thought it was a girl too with those same "fears"!

love you girl and can't wait to meet that little guy!

michelle

Unknown said...

It's official. You NEED that Gap "Weber" hat and overalls!!!! :)
Yay for Boy!!!!!!!

Shan said...

Why do I always cry when I read your blog? Carsyn has a matching fleece just like her daddy too! Precious. So happy for you guys!