In order to keep things relaxed, I am attempting to do as much cooking before the Big Day as possible. Lucky for me, this side of the family has a little tradition of ordering their turkey from Greenburg of Tyler, Texas. These smoked birds are so delicious that Oprah once featured them on her Favorite Things episode! My handsome Tom will be delivered to my doorstep on Tuesday and comes fully cooked and frozen. All this means that I am exempt from the nail-biting task of roasting a turkey and I can throw all of my efforts into some stellar sides and desserts!
Joining the Greenburg on the menu are Mama Dot's Buckner Cornbread Dressing, homemade Green Bean Casserole (fresh green beans and homemade cream sauce; a new recipe, so we'll see how this one goes!), Sweet Potato Casserole with pecan crumble topping, homemade sweet Sourdough Rolls, Fresh Cranberry Orange Relish, and Pumpkin Cheesecake with Gingerbread Crust. Everything but the green bean casserole and cheesecake is already made and in the freezer; I'll make the last casserole and dessert on Wednesday, bake everything off on Thursday, whip up some gravy, and Voila! we have ourselves a stress-free Turkey Day!
Just in case any of you are sharing in the Thanksgiving duties, I'll leave you with a recipe! It doesn't get any easier than this, folks. Stay tuned for more Thanksgiving recipes!
Mama Dot's Fresh Cranberry Relish
Mama Dot was Jonathan's grandmother and one of the best cooks I have ever known. She passed away almost three years ago, and we all miss her terribly. I had grand aspirations for trying lots of new recipes this Thanksgiving, but when it all came down to it, nothing but Mama Dot's classics would do. Here is one of my favorites...
- 1 lb. cranberries (one bag)
- 1 medium orange
- 1 c. sugar
Rinse cranberries and place in the bowl of a food processor. Cut the stem end from the orange and slice into wedges. Add to food processor. Process until cranberries and orange are chopped. Add sugar and pulse until the entire mixture is finely chopped. Chill until serving time, or freeze and thaw before serving.
1 comment:
Smart girl. Sounds delicious! Don't feel like a bad hostess for getting your post-Thanksgiving nap!
Post a Comment