- Baby Poe missed the memo that the puking phase of pregnancy is the first trimester, not the second. I only threw up about twice in my entire first trimester, but once I hit 13 weeks I have had an appointment with the porcelain throne at least once a week. Now, compared to many women I know, that is nothing. I realize that. But it is quite baffling when every pregnancy email tells you how great you should be feeling at this point in the pregnancy, while I am dodging my coworkers to make it into the one-seater bathroom before I create a new "My Most Embarassing Moment" story. To be gross and detailed (hey, this blog is as much for my memory as it is for your enjoyment!), I think it is all a result of acid reflux and not morning sickness-like nausea. I always feel just fine before throwing up, but then suddenly feel that burning in my chest/throat, then the watery mouth, and then RUN!!! before WWIII breaks out in the bathroom (Jonathan's description, not mine). So, so strange.
- Speaking of puking and Jonathan, we have got the routine down (if the fun happens while he is around). While some people want someone nearby to hold their hair back, I do not want anyone near me whatsoever. When the first incident occurred, Jonathan went to get a glass of water and then stood next to me holding it until I was ready; I'm pretty sure I just about knocked him out as I flailed my arms mid-puke to indicate that I wanted to be ALONE. But then as soon as the action subsided I wanted that glass of water, dang it! So now as soon as the fun begins Jonathan grabs a glass of water and quietly slides it right next to the toilet before leaving the room (although I'm pretty sure he stands right around the corner just in case I need him, quite the accomplishment considering his weak stomach!). He is a champion water boy and offers the perfect amount of pity and sympathy when the games are over.
- I think I have been feeling the first of Baby Poe's movements. There have been a few of those little popcorn/gas bubble sensations, and then yesterday after lunch I felt a very distinct flutter that just stopped me in my tracks and brought tears to my eyes. Do it again, baby!
- The pregnancy "glow" is a lie. The glow is, in fact, caused by excess oil that leads me to break out like a teenager. I have been blessed with clear skin for most of my life and only get the occasional pimple, almost always on my chin and almost always around a certain time of the month. Yesterday I woke up to FIVE, count 'em FIVE zits. A monster on my chin, along with a couple mini-monsters, another one my cheek, one more on my nose, and then today they added a sixth friend on my right temple. It is no fun to look like a knocked up pubescent teen, and I sure hope this little phase does not last.
- Though I have been attempting to get as much wear out of my non-maternity clothes as possible, each morning brings some laughs as I discover that yet another garment doesn't fit. This morning I put on a pair of dress pants that could barely zip and definitely not button, and then topped it off with a white button-up shirt that is now entirely too short. Jonathan and I got a good giggle out of the ensemble before I swapped it out for maternity pants and a longer top. Elastic waists are heavenly.
- Despite the puking, my appetite is back with full force. Last night, after reading a Facebook status about peanut butter cookies (thanks, Katie! :) I couldn't get them out of my mind. Luckily we have a neighborhood coffee shop/restaurant/bakery just around the corner that makes a killer dessert called the Charlie Brown bar: peanut butter oatmeal cookie base, chocolate chips, and peanut butter frosting all melded together into one dreamy bar cookie. After pining for one all the way through So You Think You Can Dance and halfway through Glee, Jonathan was off to the bakery and returned a few minutes later with my dream come true. Pretty sure I moaned after every bite. It. Was. Awesome. (Should be fun to see what my weight gain is at the next appointment, huh?)
- Though I have been resisting the urge to spend money on the baby at this point, I did buy Baby Poe's first little gift this week. A friend and I met for lunch at The Women's Exchange on Tuesday; it is a quaint little tea room that also sells handmade baby clothes and toys. Oh. My. Word. I think I teared up the second I walked in the room. I was a bit early and began to browse when a little old lady on staff asked if she could help me. I mentioned that I was expecting, and it was all over! Before I knew it she was pulling out every christening gown and smocked dress in the place; each of them were out of this world gorgeous. Once we know what we are having I might just have to go back and buy an heirloom outfit for this little guy or girl. I did, however, find a little handmade dauchshund stuffed toy, made of brown and white fabric with a navy grosgrain bow around its neck. Jonathan grew up with a dauchshund, Holly Angel, and loves them to this day, so when I saw this little thing it just had to be ours! Unfortunately, when I brought it home Weber thought it had to be hers too (don't worry, the dauchshund is fine!); looks like we have some training to do before this house gets full of stuffed animals and other little toys!
Well, that's the latest in this crazy journey! Oh, and sorry there is no bump pic. Wouldn't you know that I left my brand spankin' new camera in Oklahoma last weekend? Don't worry, the fam will bring it next week for Thanksgiving, and we are taking pictures of the bump, they are just all on 35 mm.
4 comments:
Ugh. So sorry to hear the puking has returned. Whenever my migraines induce vomiting, C gets me water and then gets my toothbrush ready, armed with toothpaste. He thinks that my main priority is to get those enamel killing stomach acids off my pearly whites as soon as possible (actually, that's his main concern. that, and making sure i wash my face and hands after literally hugging the toilet). Sweet boys.
Bummer on the return of the pukes. It sounds like you have a stellar hubby though! I'm like you; do NOT come near me when I don't feel well. However, I'm married to a 'hoverer' who likes to be hovered over when HE is ill. We are quite opposite, requiring both of us to work on the skills we do not naturally possess: me-hovering a bit more, him-leaving me the heck alone! ;) Glad you got the craving satisfied, and embrace the maternity wear!!! Can't wait to see your bump pics! :)
i love that you're documenting all the details. It'll be so fun to read after baby Poe is here and to compare to future pregnancies! Such a sweet husband. I'm excited to see pictures!
Sorry to hear you're sick again and I can't wait to see pictures!
Post a Comment