Did I ever tell you about the super fun day when I told my employer that I'm expecting? No? Well, let's take a little walk down Memory Lane and have a good laugh...
I always knew that I would be the type to keep news of my pregnancy close until after the first trimester. Perhaps it was because I have had so many friends lose babies, and also because I thought it would be sweet for my husband and I to share this one big secret for just a little while. Either way, it was important to me to savor my news for awhile before sharing it with the world.
Since I didn't deal with any puking until the second trimester (yes, friends...still puking!), it was remarkably easy to hide my little secret for awhile. My office is very flexible, so on the few rough mornings when I just couldn't seem to manage getting out of the house, it was no big deal to roll into the office around 9:30 a.m.
One morning, though, the nausea got the best of me. I could hardly stand up to get ready without feeling the room spin, and I just had to lay back down and get a grip. As my mind and stomach steadied, the pregnancy fatigue took over and I drifted back to sleep.
Then, my phone. A text. From my boss' boss.
Are you going to make it to the meeting this morning?
Oh. My. Word. I had a 9:00 a.m. meeting. With the Dean of Students. And the head of my department. And two representatives of a new fraternity colonizing on our campus. It was 8:50. My office is 15 minutes away. My hair was wet, my pajamas were on. Despite my best efforts, it wasn't going to happen.
No, I'm not going to make it.
What else could I say? I frantically readied myself for the day and managed to get into the office by 9:30, just as the Dean and Associate Dean were getting out of their meeting. I had a dilemma.
Option A: Stick to my plan of waiting until 13 weeks to tell my employer, while also looking like I flaked out for no good reason.
Option B: Throw the plan out the window and share my very good reason for flaking out.
I called my dad, who also works in Higher Education, to get his professional opinion. I shut my door, dialed his office number, and promptly burst into tears. (P.S. What is it about parents? You reasonably have it together and then the second you make parental contact your inner child comes out and you turn into a blubbering mess!) I managed to tell him what happened and asked him what to do.
Game over, honey. You've got to tell them.
One thing was for sure: I could not go tell my boss that I am pregnant while looking like a teary, snotty mess. So I hung out behind the closed door of my office, chatted with a dear friend for a bit to get my game face on (Thanks, Meredith!), and decided it was now or never. (Well, not really never. Eventually this belly would have given me away!)
I went to my boss's office, having no idea what to expect. I told him that I felt the need to explain why I had completely dropped off the planet this morning.
You see, the reason that I missed the meeting is because I'm three months pregnant and...
Before I could even explain, he was out of his chair, shaking my hand, grinning from ear to ear, congratulating me. No explanation necessary. Just pure excitement. It turns out that his wife had been violently ill for the majority of her pregnancy with their daughter. If anyone was going to understand, it was this guy! What a tremendous blessing.
And I received the same response from every other coworker in my office. I should have known, really, considering that I work with a truly phenomenal group of people, but it sure was a blessing after a few months of wondering what effect that news would have. They all thought I was a rock star for making it through all of Greek recruitment, working until 2 a.m. for a month straight, while dealing with the first few months of pregnancy; if I could do all that, I must be good at my job!
And wouldn't you know that the day before this happened I had asked my BSF group to pray that my conversation with my employer would be smooth and well-received. How amazing to see God's provision for that conversation, even though it was about the opposite of how I had planned!
Monday, November 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I'm so glad they took the news well. I agree that it is intimidating to prepare to tell your boss/workplace that your life, as they know it, will be changing. Yay for having an understanding boss!! That is such a blessing, for real.
Wow! What a crazy story. I totally know how you feel about having it all together and then just losing it. ugh. I'm really glad that everything went well. yay!
~Kathryn
That's so great! Thank you for sharing it!!
Why is it that even the best bosses can be difficult to inform? I'm glad that it went smoothly!
Okay - i hope this doesn't make me sound like a total creeper, but I had a dream that you were in last night. It was like a dream that was being narrated through your blog, and it was you telling stories about your pregnancy tummy showing, except it was me that was pregnant. it was really crazy. We were at OBU and a bunch of guys were there like Joey Armstrong and these other people. It was so bizarre. just thought you might like to know that. ha.
~Kathryn
www.markandkathrynjohnson.blogspot.com
God is good, Leslie! I am so glad that everything worked out.
Post a Comment