Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Let Them Eat (a) Cake

Last night, I baked this cake.
This banana chiffon cake.
24 hours later...

I wish I could say we had company.
A dinner party.
A pot luck.
A pack of wild dogs.
But I'm afraid there is no one to blame but ourselves.
It is
JUST
THAT
GOOD.
Go make it.
NOW.
BANANA CHIFFON CAKE
from Martha Stewart Everyday Food
(I usually just link to the recipe but since this one was contributed by a reader it is not listed on their website)

Ingredients:

2 c. all-purpose flour

1 1/2 c. granulated shugar

1 T. baking powder

1 t. salt

1 ripe banana

1/2 c. vegetable oil

7 large eggs, yolks and whites separated

1 t. vanilla

1/2 t. cream of tartar

powdered sugar for dusting.

Method:

Preheat oven to 350. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a medium bowl, mash banana. Add oil, eg yolks, vanilla, and 3/4 c. cold water; mix to combine. Add to flour mixture, and whisk batter until smooth.

In a large bowl, place egg whites and cream of tartar; using an electric mixer, beat until stiff peaks form. With a rubber spatula, gently fold into batter just until combined (do not overmix). Pour into an angel-food cake pan (aka, a tube pan). Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Invert the pan onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely. Reinvert pan, gently run a knife around the edge and turn out onto a cake stand or plate. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.

We ate this with pineapple coconut gelato, but it is fabulous plain (we keep eating hunks of it plain for breakfast and snacks). Fresh fruit and whipped cream would be awesome too; maybe with a bit of rum beaten into the whipped cream???

Oh, mercy.


5 comments:

Meredith said...

Oh I think I know what I will be doing this weekend. Thanks for the recipe--sounds delicious!!

Haley Nicodemus said...

I wish someone would make that for me immediately!

Angela W said...

Don't feel bad. Nathan and I usually polish of a pan of brownies in about the same time. :)

BTW - what was that HEB coffee you like? I'm always at HEB and always pass the coffee aisle and think of you. And please facebook message me your address when you get a chance! :)

LyndsAU said...

I am afraid I could polish off a cake all alone these days :) haha

Rachel DeCarolis said...

Hey Leslie! Made this the other night for my entire family...and it is now completely gone :) YUM! Thanks for the recipe!