Jonathan and I are planning a two-week summer road trip through the Northeast. We will be starting in the D.C. area, working our way up the coast, stopping in Maine for a family reunion, and then working our way to Niagara Falls and upstate New York before heading back to Memphis. We might even try to hit Quebec and Toronto (if you're that far north, why the heck not?).
I would love any and all of your recommendations for must-see spots in the northeast, specifically along the coast. We have already decided to skip Philly and NYC and save those for later, more concentrated trips, so save those recommendations for later. Also, if you have been to southeastern Canada, particularly Quebec, Toronto, and the Niagara Falls area, tell me if you think it is worth the trip.
You are now officially my travel agent. Bring it.
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
The Andy Warhol museum in Pittsburgh is pretty great. I'm jealous of your traveling adventures.
Ok-if you're anywhere in the Nashua, NH area, there is a lunch spot called Pickity Place. It's not really a "guy" place, so beware. It's the Little Red Riding Hood house from the Little Golden Book series. I've been there once and my sister lunches with a friend once a month there. They are EXCELLENT lunches (a different menu every month, I think). You really do have to make a reservation in advance. Anyway, it's quaint and they have a cute little shop next door. It's a little bit out of the way, but it's a pretty drive.
http://www.pickityplace.com/
I really like Harpers Ferry, WV. And Falling Water in Mills Run, PA. For Falling Water you might need to make an appointment.
fun trip!!! my best friend lives in Brunswick, Maine...she's always fun. ha. And you could come through beautiful Siloam and get yourself a brand new pup...??? Those r my thoughts.
Katie needs to get on here and give you some tips. She has family up there and has been several times. She always has the best stories from up there, so I hope she sees this post! :)
Have fun!
Wow! What a great vacation! One of Ryan's favorite memories is his time with Jonathan in Maine. We haven't been that direction, but are going to Canada in the fall! We have friends who live there, so I will get their travel tips and let you know. . .
Sounds like fun!! When you start planning your NYC trip let me know and I'll give you all the inside scoops...
Hey! Yay for New England!!
When we go to Quebec, we always visit Memphre-Magog. It's about 30 minutes north of Vermont and is a fun little historic spot to visit. The lake is beautiful and there are fun restaurants that line it. That's my Quebec suggestion. When we visit Toronto, we always make it a point to stop at Snug Harbour, a restaurant on Lake Ontario (you can google it). Delicious with a fun atmosphere.
My favorite place ever is York Beach, Maine. It sounds like you've already got your Maine plans made, but if you've got the time, I'd make it a point to stop by Short Sands Beach in York. It's a quaint town that bustles in the summertime. I love it!
Have fun planning!!
BOSTON....tell me you are going to boston.
eat here....http://www.pizzeriaregina.com/ great pizza
and here....http://www.kimballfarm.com/ best ice cream i've ever had
check out concord ma, lots of history, even louisa may alcott's house :)
Quebec is so worth it. I road-tripped up there right after graduating HS and it was a great time. The people, the food, and the city itself are all very interesting. I wouldn't miss it for the world!
I just visited Toronto and Niagara Falls last September.. SOOOOO worth it! If you're going into Canada anyways, definitely see Niagara from the Canadian side. I think it's a much better view on their side of the falls... it's absolutely gorgeous. From there, it's only about another hour or so into Toronto. I found it to be a super cool city. We took a bus tour type thing for about $25 and got to see all the really cool sights. There's actually a castle in the middle of downtown Toronto... I can't remember the name, but there aren't any other castles so it shouldn't be hard to figure out. Definitely neat to see. I have a friend who lives in Toronto, so let me know if you're really going to go up there and I can have her email me a list of suggestions to pass along to you.
Can't wait for your stop in Boston! Soooo many things to do and fabulous restaurants to eat at like the Ethiopian place right down the road from me. Although I'll wish Merdi was there too it will be nice to have Jonathan around this time :)
Post a Comment