Is the internet making me stupid?
I am starting to get a bit concerned over the shift in my reading material of choice. In the past, I took great pleasure in a good thought-provoking book. Fiction or non-fiction, books were my go-to source of intellectual stimulation, relaxation, and pleasure. They still are, to a certain extent, but I am afraid that my free time is increasingly being filled by a computer screen filled with blurbs of information rather than a text filled with conjoined thoughts and themes.
My mind craves blogs. It craves People.com, marthastewart.com, foodtv.com. It craves little bits of easy-to-digest information. And I am starting to see the effects.
This morning, I picked up a new book that I am reviewing for a journal. As I began to hack through the prologue, I found myself reading and rereading sentences. Paragraphs. Pages.
"Dang...this book is hard."
In the words of Scooby Doo: "Ruh-roh"
Bad sign.
Granted, many of the things I read on the internet--particularly blogs--are thought-provoking and challenging. They leave me thinking. But I think I need to resharpen my intellectual tools a bit. Rebuild my stamina for reading material that goes beyond a few clicks or scrolls. Stop my brain from regressing to a state of comprehension limited to headlines and pictures.
What do you think? Has the proliferation of the Internet affected the way you think or receive information?
Monday, May 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm with you on this. Granted, I read all day long for my job, and these are not easy reads. However, that's no excuse for not reading books on a personal level. Too many entertaining websites out there....!!!
Post a Comment