Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Tuesday Tribute

This is a new, hopefully weekly, feature on my blog in which I tell you all about someone special to me, how they have influenced me, why I love them, and generally why they are awesome. Just try your best not to be jealous of how cool my friends are... (wink)


My innaugural Tuesday Tribute is devoted to one of my oldest, dearest friends, but before I tell you any more, there is one thing I must get off my chest....


HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MEREDITH!


If we didn't live so ridiculously far apart I would take you out for a margarita. And some cheese dip. Because where there is Leslie and Meredith, there must be cheese.


And now, with no further ado...Meet Meredith.



Isn't she a knockout? Just gorgous, I tell you. Pretty sure I have been jealous of her legs since the day we met, but luckily she is as sweet as she is pretty so we can still be friends.


If I recall, Meredith and I first met at a basketball game between our rival junior high schools. At the time, I was having a rough time at my particular school and was reassured by my friend Julie not to worry. "Next year, when we're at SHS, you'll meet Meredith and all my other friends from CJH and it will all be better!" And sure enough I did. And it was.


Me, Julie, and Meredith. Boston, 2008.


Meredith is crazy smart. Even though we joke about her ability to perform geometry proofs without batting an eyelash, her skills definitely come in handy on a shopping trip or dinner out. Percentages off, tip and tax. You name it, and this girl will have a number for you in a heartbeat. She is a deep thinker, an engaging writer, and a talented graphic designer. At the same time, she shares my obsession with People.com and other less-than-intellectual pursuits. Our conversations can go from Brangelina to Barack without skipping a beat, and I love that about our friendship.



Meredith gives wise advice. She is a planner and a practical thinker, which is such an asset to an emotional, fickle girl like me. In fact, I accepted my current job after a phone call with Meredith. As I blubbered on about the pros and cons, Meredith listened, and then succinctly but sensitively told me that this was a great opportunity, maybe not ideal, but a job in my field that was ready for me to start the next week. A better offer was not likely. She was right, and it was just the push I needed. A friend who can give wise words in a kind way is so valuable, and I have that in Meredith. For the record, she also gives excellent input on fashion, hairstyles, baby names, marital quarrels, workplace interactions, and brands of shampoo.



Meredith is FUN. This is probably my favorite thing about her. She has a witty, smart sense of humor and has no problem letting her hair down, even if others would think she is dorky for doing it. Great memories with this girl are endless: Cruising in her GEO Tracker with "Living on a Prayer" blasting through while we sang at the top of our lungs; dancing around in her garage with tennis rackets and other sports equipment as props; spontaneosly driving to Memphis for a long weekend road trip; hanging out with locals in South Padre Island (correction: random town outside of SPI that was cheaper and thus more full of locals) til all hours of the night; waching her pole dance (completely sober!) at her bachelorette party; doing the chicken dance at her wedding. The list goes on.



Speaking of weddings, Meredith knows how to throw a party. Her wedding was the most fun I have had in ages, as evidenced below. Apparently Julie thinks I'm hilarious.





So here's to you, friend, on your 27th birthday (picture me toasting w/ a margarita and queso coated tortilla chip). That means that we have been friends for, what, twelve years? For this little Air Force brat, that is a long time, and I have a feeling that you, Julie, and I will be the three crazy old ladies doing the Chicken Dance at our daughters's weddings. You have been a faithful friend, a trusted confidant, a supportive bridesmaid, a partner in crime, a personal stylist, an enthusiastic cheerleader, and so much more. Love you, Merdi, and Happy Birthday!


(Love you too, Jules...keep an eye out for your tribute!)

7 comments:

Pleasant Living said...

Sweet words!

keely said...

Love the idea of a weekly feature. Just might steal it...

Tristan said...

how sweet! Loving the last pic..so cute!

emily said...

great post! almost brought tears to my eyes. and that first picture of you two, you both look soooo skinny! hope you're having fun at your conference.

Courtney said...

So sweet!!! I am doing something similar on my blog called "Convos with Court"....I'm just waiting on my first "convo" to be completed. haha!

Meredith said...

You are wonderful. :) Thank you for this.

mckenziegordon said...

this is such a fun idea. I'll be waiting for mine but I think it's only appropriate to be on a Monday. Haha just kidding. But a fun memory of you!