Considering that my new job begins tomorrow, I have felt an overwhelming urge to fill the past few days with all of the things that full-time employment tends to keep you from. It's been pretty nice, except for that nagging feeling of "only three/two/one more days." I tend to get a little anxious about new begginings, new people, new responsibilities. So while at one moment I find myself vey excited for a new challenge, at the next I find myself fearful and anxious. I don't like that feeling, but I guess it comes with the territory. How good to know that we can be confident that God's plans for us are good and that he will equip us to rise to the occasion! Sometimes that is the only truth that keeps me from being a basketcase.
But enough with vulnerability! Let's recap my final days of unemployment!
THURSDAY
Woke up relatively early, enjoyed a cuppa joe and a bit of the Today Show and headed out to Shelby Farms with Weber. It was a gorgeous morning; crisp fall air, clear blue skies, and very few people out on the trails. Weber and I hiked and practiced her water retrieving for about an hour; even after that I was not ready to leave, so I sat on a bench next to a pond, Weber at my feet, and just enjoyed the quiet for awhile. Not a bad way to spend a morning.
That afternoon I had to swing by UofM to complete some employment paperwork, so I decided to spend the afternoon out and about. I hit up the mall for the first time since moving here and celebrated my new employed status with a pair of $8 shoes at Payless, a cute winter hat, and some Sensual Amber body cream from B&BW. It is my new favorite scent for fall, and I was pumped to find that all body creams were $5 that day! Score!
After the mall I ran by our Pottery Barn and Williams Sonoma outlets (seriously, you should come visit me just for these outlets!) and used my gift card to snag a new chocolate brown throw for the living room (Thanks DC girls!). Then it was off to Target for some new lampshades and a throw pillow, also courtesy of a gift card. I love free shopping (Thanks Ramsey, Ashley, and Anna!).
If that doesn't already sound like a fabulous day, it gets better! After my errands I stopped by a local joint that I have been dying to check out: Dinstuhl's Candies. It has been around since the early 1900s and is a Memphis favorite. After drooling over the truffles, candies, and other treasures, I snagged a turtle apple: a granny smith drenched in caramel, chocolate, and nuts. I arrived home just as Jonathan did and we proceeded to down the entire thing! It was a wonderful kick off to our date night.
We headed to Celtic Crossing, a little pub in the Cooper-Young district, and enjoyed some Sam Adams Oktoberfest and Smithwicks on the patio. We capped off our brews with a pie at Memphis Pizza Cafe and then came home to watch The Office.
Now I ask you: with the exception of world travels or other outrageous adventures (ie: limited to things you can do in your immediate community) can you imagine a better day? I think not.
FRIDAY:
Got some things done around the house in the morning and then headed to Fino's, a little Italian deli and grocery store near our house. I picked up two sandwiches and a cannoli and headed to SCO to have lunch with Jonathan. UofM is just far enough away from SCO that we probably won't be able to meet up for lunch, so I figured I should take advantage of my last lunch with the hubster! When he got off of work that evening we headed to Shelby Farms again to meet Natelie and Jed and their pug Roxy. The four of us hiked around for awhile and fun watching Weber attempt to play with Roxy. Afterwards we grabbed some Sheridan's custard (Hey, Linders! We've got a Sheridans!!!) and hung out at their apartment park. Gosh, it's nice to have some friends!
SATURDAY:
Jonathan geared up for the OU/TX game while I headed out east to attend an SCO women's bible study at the home of one of Jonathan's professors. It was such a sweet time of getting to meet some of Jonathan's fellow students and some other wives. After that I went to Petsmart to pick up a few new treats for Weber to ease the transition of being alone all day. I am a bit anxious to leave her in her crate for the entire day, but at this point I'm not sure we can trust her in the house alone. I'd love any advice from you dog owners out there on what you do with your furry child while you're away! After PetSmart I hit up Target and Walmart and then headed home to relax for a bit.
Last night Jonathan and I ventured downtown for the first time to meet some friends of ours who are OSU and LSU fans. We hit up Jillian's, a bit bar/restaurant with multiple televisions so that everyone could watch their game of choice. It was fun to be out on the town late at night, but Jonathan and I were definitely reminded why we don't make Beale Street a regular stop on our weekends! It was CRAZY out there last night! Not exactly our scene.
SUNDAY
Church. Laundry. Cleaning. Cooking ahead for company this weekend. Baking bread. Organizing closet and work clothes. Home manicure and pedicure. Working in the yard a bit. Getting prepared for a new week of new things.
If you think of it, please pray that I will sleep well tonight, that my mind and heart will be at ease about this transition, and that I will wake up tomorrow feeling peaceful and confident. I'll let you know how it goes!
Sunday, October 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
sounds like a fabulous few days, indeed! i'm so excited for you as you head into tomorrow. i can't wait to hear how your first day goes! knowing you, you'll bring a freshly baked treat and have more friends than you know what to do with by the end of the day! well, that will happen, baked goods or not!
i hope your first day is great! :) can't wait to hear all about it!
Sounds like a great couple of days! I want a pottery barn and willams-sonoma outlet to be near me! I am so jealous! Good luck on your first day!
Post a Comment