Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Tagged!

Goodness gracious, I am popular! ;) Both Mojito Maven and LyndsAU have tagged me in the past week and I am just now getting on Blogger at home. So with no further ado...

The first tag from Mrs. Mojito had the following instructions: 1. Pass it on to five other bloggers, and tell them to open the nearest book to page 56. Write out the fifth sentence on that page, and also the next two to five sentences...The CLOSEST BOOK, NOT YOUR FAVORITE, OR MOST INTELLECTUAL!!

The nearest book to me is an old copy of Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland that is on display on my end table.

"But then," thought Alice, "Shall I never get any older than I am now? That'll be a comfort, one way--never to be an old woman--but then--always to have lessons to learn! Oh, I shouldn't like that!"

Pretty profound, that Alice.

The second part of her tag asked me to list six things I value and six things I do not value.

THINGS I VALUE:
  • Travel and adventure: I would be a sad girl if I never had the opportunity to pack up and explore every year or so. An offshoot of that value is that I want to live an adventurous life that does not choose security over opportunity; I want to be willing to take risks and go out on a limb to live the life that God has planned for me.
  • Diversity: I really enjoy being around people who are different from me, even though that is often a challenge. The city of Memphis, the UofM, and our church are very diverse and I am very thankful for that.
  • Girlfriends: I don't care if you are married, single, or anywhere in between. You need girl time! I am very blessed to have made and kept wonderful girlfriends from each chapter of my life.
  • Local Living: I love shopping at my farmer's market, dining at local restaurants, and discovering the things that make my city unique. I try to always choose to spend my money locally before spending it at a chain.
  • Sabbath: I really try to keep my Sunday a day of rest (which is going to be a challenge now that my new job includes some Sunday meetings with Panhellenic). It saddens me that many churches have become so program-oriented that their congregation is exhausted, stretched thin, and hardly has a free hour on Sundays to enjoy a meal with family, a nap, or a hobby.
  • Learning and Education: I really enjoy reading, watching educational television shows, and all other dorky methods of learning new things. And I love guiding students through the learning process and finding new ways to make things click.

THINGS I DO NOT VALUE:

  • Packaged convenience foods: I don't know why this was the first thing that came to my mind, but it bugs me how marketers of the world have convinced us that simple homemade meals are frivilous and that the majority of the things we eat should be microwaved or toted along in convenient little single-serving pouches. It is not cheaper, it does not taste better, and it is often not easier.
  • The Social Clock: Yes, this is an actual term in developmental psychology! I am fascinated by the recipe for life that we assign to everyone of a given age group. If you are dating, people ask about marriage; if you are married, people ask about babies. Sadly, these expectations are accelerated and intensified in the southern Christian community. Just let people do their thing and be excited for them when they have a new life milestone to celebrate!
  • Bad Etiquette: While I recognize that times are a'changing, I feel like more and more things are becoming acceptable that are just bad taste. For example (my apologies in advance to those who have done this): including your registries in your wedding invitation, not RSVPing, texting during meetings or conversations, wearing white to a wedding when you are not the bride, etc. Let's be classy, folks.
  • Political Incorrectness: Now I'm not saying this in the sense that we tiptoe around everything for fear of saying something offensive, but I do think that there is a certain amount of sophistication that is necessary to live in this modern and diverse world. There are certain things that you just cannot say in this day and age!
  • SUVs and Big Trucks. Wake up people!
  • T-shirts. I don't like wearing t-shirts. Weird, I know. I do it on occasion, but I don't like it.

Can you tell I had a hard time there at the end?

LyndsAU, I'll get to yours in my next post!

2 comments:

LyndsAU said...

I loved reading this and learning more about you :)
PS-I don't like wearing t shirts either... unless I am working out!
And I am with you on Bad Etiquette. It's getting bad!

Liz Harrell said...

Alice in Wonderland is one of my favorites! And amen about the SUV's. Enough already.