Thursday, October 23, 2008

Lazy...


I hope you sang that title to the tune of Patsy Cline or LeAnn Rimes singing "Cray-zeee..." 'Cause that's how it sounded in my head...

Laziness. Slothfulness. Sleepiness. Whatever you want to call it, I've got a bad case of it. I just can't seem to get myself jump-started to do much more than watch tv, surf the internet, or read. After a day at work, I can usually manage to whip up dinner (because I enjoy doing it), but as soon as I take one look at the pile of dirty dishes that remains, I say to myself, "I'm just going to sit down and rest for a minute." It is at this point that I fall into the Black Hole of Laziness. Next thing I know, it's 10:30 p.m. and I'm ready to head for bed. Dishes still waiting...laundry still piling...miscellaneous items still straying around the house. And the cycle continues.

It's shameful, really. My job is not that stressful. My life is not overly full of commitments. My time is relatively flexible. As you can see, my barrel of excuses and justifications is fairly dry. I just don't wanna.

But I gotta.

I am attempting to calculate a game plan for next week in my head. Potential solutions include:


  • Not allowing myself to engage in the forementioned lounging activities until the house is in decent, liveable shape. (Note that I did not say "perfect" shape. By "decent and liveable" I mean dishes done and counters wiped, bathroom not disgusting, house picked up, lunch made/clothes ironed for tomorrow, the end).

  • Making a schedule of some sort that has me doing one household chore per night so that I don't get stuck doing all my cleaning at once (Laundry on Sundays, dust on Monday, floors on Tuesday, bathroom deep clean on Wednesday, etc.)

  • Hiring a maid. A maid who will work for free out of the goodness of her heart. And who will use Caldera Ginger Plumelo cleaners to make my home smell divine. Know anyone?

Now don't you worry. I'm not being too hard on myself. I know that at the end of the day I am a very productive person. I'm just in a bit of a rut and have not quite fallen into my back-to-work groove yet. Until then, suggestions from all of you motivated, industrious folks with tidy houses and non-sticky, non-crumb-laden floors are eagerly welcomed. Now off to my unmade bed I go...

9 comments:

Christie said...

I do the same thing and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. I'm sure part of it is starting a new job- it gets things off kilter a bit. I think having a plan like you said- a checklist even- will help get you back in gear. If you ever need any tips, stop by my blog- I like to think I offer a few good ones for such situations because I struggle with the same thing. A plan is definitely a great start for change though.

LyndsAU said...

You will get back in the swing of things :) It takes time managing a job and a husband :) One thing at a time is key!
And that picture... PRECIOUS!!! I love it! When I saw it I said... awwwwww!!! You look so peaceful-now that's what I need! hehe

keely said...

livable. that's the state you'll find my house in 99% of the time. not overly cluttered, not totally nasty, but not spic-n-span. i get motivated to really clean when, and only when 1-husband mentions the state of the bathroom, carpet, etc. or 2-we have people coming over.
so maybe the goal should be to have people over once a week to ensure that things get really clean at least that often!

Whitney said...

You are definitely not a lazy schmazy! You are a busy, tired, working girl. Let yourself rest at the end of the day - you deserve it! I do the same things, and the weekends always tend to be the times when I catch up on the things I intentionally overlook through the week.

Erin said...

Oh girl, I'm the same way. I mean, I even get off work by 3, but I just want to lay around the rest of the eve...oh well! Saturdays are good cleaning days..! ;)

Katie said...

I love that picture! I agree with Erin. Saturdays are great for cleaning! :) I'm sure your house isn't nearly as bad as you think it is. At least it is an adorably decorated house!! That has to help!

Pleasant Living said...

That doggie is the cutest! Is it a pointer or what? Not that I can get another dog right now, but it sure is a cutie! And, I just thinking that women should stay home. It's so much easier on everyone. And, as my husband says, "Happy wife. Happy life."

Meredith said...

Cute picture of you two! The only advice I can give...

-When I make the meal, Michael cleans the dishes and puts them away. And vice-versa.

-We do our own laundry and our own ironing. And we split up the chores around the house.

-We take turns making lunches in the morning.

You work 40 hours a week pretty lady, don't get down on yourself. :)

Julie said...

Ok, for the schedule... I stuck to chores on MWF and vegging out on T TH and weekends. Not bad. No laundry, no cleaning, just the basics on your off days- it works! Try it.