Memphis is a diverse city in cultures, ethnicities, and socioecomics. On any given day as you drive through the city, you see this variety represented on the streets. On Monday I hopped in the car to head to bible study. Our group was having a fellowship before class, so I had brought along a still-warm pan of symphony bar brownies. As I sat at a long stop light not too far from our house, I noticed a homeless man standing in the median with a cardboard sign. I had a one dollar bill in my pocket, but I found myself wishing that I just had food to give him so that I didn't have to wonder what my money would later purchase. Then, in a lightbulb moment, I remembered my brownies; the spatula and napkins were right on top of my bag; the light was long.
I rolled down the window.
ME: "Hey, you wanna warm brownie?"
DUDE: "Are you serious??? That sounds awesome!!!"
As quickly as I could, I removed the foil from the brownie pan on the passenger seat, cut a big square, put it on a napkin, and handed it out the window.
DUDE: "This is incredible! I can't believe this!"
ME: "Enjoy!"
As soon as I made my transaction, the light turned green, and off I went. I couldn't help but laugh at what a random, delightful surprise that must have been for him. Looks like I should drive around with hot baked goods more often! Could come in handy in this town.
Wednesday, October 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Nice story! Maybe I should bring food with me anytime I leave home because there are pretty much always homeless people down the street...which is sad.
Thank you so much for you sweet comment:) It is encouraging to have people tell me that I dont suck even if a 6th grade girl thinks I do. Hopefully things will change!
Any luck with your job hunt? Hope you find something you like:)
I love your story! Thanks for sharing and praise God for your aha moment.
Can I just share the story this made me think of, one which my sister still makes fun of me for? Ok, I see you said yes...
My mom, sister, and I had eaten at Garfield's in the mall and were headed home when we saw a man with a sign on the side of the road. I rolled down the window and handed him the box of our leftovers, yelling out, "It's CHICKEN STRIPS!!!" at the top of my lungs. He gave me a bewildered, though hopefully thankful look and we drove off as my mom and sister cracked up in the front seat.
I'm still not sure what was so very funny. I was simply informing the man of his newfound dinner.
Post a Comment