Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Little Patient...

Poor little Weber had "the" surgery yesterday. Contrary to Jonathan's reassurance that spaying is like getting your tubes tied ("They just snip 'em," he said...), my internet research has confirmed that the poor little girl did, in fact, have an overiohysterectomy. Thought so. I didn't think the vet would keep her overnight and require her to not jump, run, or play hard for 10 days for just a little snip, snip.

Though I know this is the most routine veterinary surgery on the planet, I have to admit that I've been a little nervous! The vet called me at the office yesterday morning, just a few hours after I dropped her off. I recognized the number on my caller i.d. My heart sank. A lump creeped its way into my throat. Why on earth would the vet call unless something horrible had happened? Turns out I just have a good vet who was calling to let me know that she came out of her surgery beautifully and has just a tiny ear infection that she needs meds for. I had to laugh at myself for being so anxious!

Funny how that little creature has only been in my life for 3 1/2 months and has managed to turn me into a doting, worrying, missing-her-when-I'm-gone "mother." I downright missed that little girl last night! You know how Covey always speaks of the 30 days it takes to develop a habit? Well, in the past 3 1/2 months I have developed a habit of being greeted by a wagging tail every time I walk in the door, having my feet kept warm by a furry little heating pad, having paws to swat off the counters while cooking dinner, having a little mouth to feed each morning and evening, and being delightfully entertained by the boundless energy and antics of a little german shorthaired pointer. Our home just wasn't the same without her.

So this afternoon I'm going to go pick up my little patient, take her home to her nice warm bed, and let her eat all the treats she wants.

13 comments:

LyndsAU said...

bless her! I am so glad she is ok! I would be freaking out!!! I need to get my boy fixed but I am so nervous about doing it! i am terrified that something horrible will happen! i had my girl fixed and everything was fine but I am worried about my boy (he was my first "born")

keely said...

we requested the same nie post!!

Katie said...

Hi - I am a friend of Stephanie Nielson and also live in Memphis (well Bartlett). It was fun to see that you live here. That was also my favorite post. I printed out the dancing picture. She is the coolest girl. It's funny cause I was friends with her but had no idea she had a blog until after the plane crash. And of course, I've read the whole thing. I had fun looking at your blog too. You are funny. So, anyway - sorry if it's weird I'm leaving a comment - but I thought we since we both lived in Memphis and love NieNie - it was ok.

Tristan said...

I come to you via Nie. I've been reading your blog this morning, love it! So, just letting you know that you are totally normal..when our little doggie girls had to go through the same thing, I think I may have even cried..haha!

Tristan

Erin said...

Sad day for Weber!

Creole Wisdom said...

So I found you through Nie, and I just love your blog- very cute :)

I hope your puppy feels better soon!

-Katie
www.creolewisdom.com

Misty said...

hey leslie, found you through nie too. & I found her & her amazing family after the today show airing as well... I did the exact same thing... completely devoured her blog for days and cried and cried and cried & I too, fell in love with that post and THAT picture just says it all! :)
I started blogging in August. I'm new to all this but it's turning out to be a new-found hobby. Yeah! Nice to meet you. Enjoyed your comments on nie's blog.

mdl said...

Just like the majority of people here, I found you via Nie. Your tribute summed up exactly how I've felt since spending an entire lazy Saturday reading Nie's blog in it's entirety. Thank you for requesting that post!
In some of your blog entries, you've mentioned going to Bible studies and worshiping the Lord. Would you mind me asking what faith you are?
I hope your little one is back to her normal self soon! :)

Sara said...

So...I thought I'd leave a comment because I have been following the NieNiedialogues for about a month now and it was so funny to see someone's name that I know show up there! I heard about her through an article I read and just like you I spent like 2 days straight reading every post. It was difficult to remember my reasoning for staying up so late to read them the next day in my 8 AM nursing class! Well, I hope that you're enjoying you're new life away from OBU. I loved the posts about your new house...it is so cute! Hope you're well.

Sara Young

Vanessa said...

You and your dog are to cute :) My husband is a dog trainer....I think his national one is dogbehavioronline.com has lots of articles on step by step training...
Anyways loved your repost for Nie!

-vanessa from inevergrewup.net

Sweet Simplicity said...

Poor dog! I feel the same way about my little dog. I couldn't imagine coming home and him not being there. Since my husby is in medical school, Nuts has become my bff! :) Check out my blog for a great giveaway!

Tristan said...

Hey, So..I have offically read your blog, up to date..LOL! I have now added you to my blog roll..look forward to getting to know ya better, even though I do drive big trucks,lol..and I went to my honeymoon in Memphis, and loved it!!

JGaroutte said...

See why dogs are so much cooler than cats?! I just scheduled Layla today to get the same thing done a month from now, and I have to admit, I was already beginning to feel it...