- Most importantly: I wore the pencil skirt and blouse with a cute little cardigan and my new $8 shoes. Thanks, girls!
- So far everyone seems very nice, very laid back, and pretty fun. Good sign.
- I have a lovely cubicle, which is a bit of an adjustment after being all alone in big ole Kerr Residence Hall last year (though it undoubtably had its loud and crazy moments!). I am going to have to re-learn how to focus in the middle of other conversations, music, and assorted office noises. My fellow grad assistants from Baylor will know that I did it once and I can do it again! (Nutshell: all 6 of us Student Activities GAs had to share one office!)
- I have a space heater under my desk, courtesy of our sweet administrative assistant. It keeps my tootsies toasty. A nice perk.
- I have had my nose buried in the manuals for National Panhellenic Conference, Association of Fraternity Advisors, and National Pan-Hellenic Council for two days straight. While I have known these systems on a big picture level, I now have to know the details, which is going to take a bit of time to process. Lucky for me, I enjoy reading and learning new things, so I'm kind of enjoying the new challenge.
- Students come back from Fall Break tomorrow, so I'm excited to meet a few new faces and start getting to know the Greek leaders I will be working with this year.
- Office hours are 8:30 to 4:30!!! And if I have an evening meeting or event to attend, I can come in late. Once again, my fellow student affairs professionals will understand the chronic workaholism of this field and what an absolute BLESSING this is! I've always been one to work smarter rather than longer/harder so its nice to work in an environment that advocates that (or at least says it does...we'll see!).
- Weber is handling the transition well. No accidents in the crate. No sadness or dejection when I get home. After growing up with cats I am used to animals holding a grudge, so I'm enjoying the fact that dogs are just glad to have you home!
- I had forgotten how absolutely pooped you are after a day of work. Seriously, how do working mothers do it? All I want to do in the evening is lay around and watch tv! Not good. I'm going to have to figure out how to get a second wind after 5:00!
Those are my first impressions thus far! Thanks for all of your well wishes, prayers, and wardrobe consultations :)
5 comments:
Glad you're handling it all well!
Now you know why I had no problem ditching that cat at IHOP. If it had been a dog, I would have been the one breaking the campus policies about having a pet in the dorm.
I am glad things are going well. I feel you on the cubicle thing. We just found out in 2010 we will be moving buildings and we will be going into cubicles. Ugh! I have had a nice little quiet office for 3 years now. BIG ADJUSTMENTS will have to be made.
Sounds like a fun job but busy yes :)
Glad your first week is going well. New jobs are scary! Funny how we both work in Student Affairs... :)
As a fellow Student Affairs person, I hear you on the long hours! You are very lucky to get off at 4:30! I am jealous that you get to work in the greek system. I would love to do that!
I bet you looked super-cute on your first day. I'm glad the hours are are working out for you. Long days, but I bet you stay busy. I'm like you--I'd rather multitask and get TONS of stuff done in a shorter day rather than take my sweet time doing things and be there all the live long day.
Almost Friday!!! :)
Post a Comment