Thursday, October 9, 2008

Comfort on White, Please

I was just sitting down to one of my favorite comfort foods of all time and it struck me that you might be living life without it. You see, it's not that popular of a food, and if you haven't heard of it, then it is absolutely imperative that I introduce it to you. There is no time to waste (well, time enough for me to polish mine off before beginning this post; some things just can't wait).

The food I speak of is a New England classic, so some of you Northerners may have had one. My mom was born and raised in Maine, so she brought this little tidbit of her homeland into my life at a very young age. You probably have two of the three ingredients, but the third might require a quick trip to the store. It's worth it. Get out your bread. Get out your peanut butter. Now, the magical ingredient: marshmallow creme, more affectionately known as "fluff." Smooth the creamy peanut butter and pillowy fluff on the bread like a good ole pbj (I like equal proportions of both, Jon just likes a smear of pb, some like more fluff). Then cut it up (I like mine in four little triangles, just like mama did it), grab a glass of milk, and enjoy.

There you have it friends: the fluffernutter sandwich. One of the loves of my life. Some of you might be grimacing with disgust right now, but please promise me you'll try it. I'm willing to bet that you'll fall in love, but if you don't, put that jar of fluff in the mail and send it my way!

10 comments:

Katie said...

FLUFFERNUTTERS!!! I love a good Fluffernutter! That was my favorite after-school snack when I was a kid. Mom would make a Fluffernutter (with the crust cut off) and serve it with a big, frosty glass of milk. Mmmm. I need to get some fluff!!

Having a New England heritage can be quite fun, can't it!! :)

The Linders said...

NO WAY!! They eat these all the time on Jon and Kate Plus 8!!! In case you don't know them, they are a couple who has a set of twins and a set of sextuplets :) They have their own show on TLC and I'm totally addicted. They eat organic whenever possible, and were thrilled to discover organic marshmallow cream so that they could enjoy "Peanut Butter Fluff" sandwiches! Ryan and I just looked at each other in confusion. Now that we know you're a fan (and we do like your taste in food), we'll have to give it a try.

Angela said...

Oh my goodness! I had never heard marshmallow creme called "Fluff" until I worked in Maine for a summer and witness the phenomenon of the Peanut Butter and Fluff sandwich. EVERYONE there eats them as though they're the most normal thing ever and I felt that I was an alien from PB&J planet - completely out of the loop. How can such a subculture exist so seamlessly with so many clueless outsiders like me? It baffles the mind.

(PS, you don't know me, but I'm a fellow bison and I believe you may know my sister-in-law: Dayla Rowland. I found your blog a couple of days ago and I really like it. Hope you don't mind the intrusion.)

Christie said...

My sister's best friend in college has never had "Fluff." We were flabbergasted when we heard that. I guess I never realized it was a New England thing, but as he is from the south, it correlates.

I haven't had fluff in a long time, but your post makes me think it's time to relive some childhood memories and make me a fluffernutter sandwich!

Serah said...

My husband is from CT and Fluff is his favorite thing in the world. So much so, that his sister mails him jars of it. He's loves those sandwiches!

Love your blog! I moved from Memphis to SC 4 years go. We lived in Midtown.

Angela said...

Actually, I still haven't tried the Fluffernutter yet, I've always been a bit scared of it. But I suppose next time I have some extra fluff on hand I shall give it a try. ;)
I graduated in 2006 and, actually, I was a Blue Banshee during Welcome Week my freshman year, though I doubt you'd recognize me from that.
I agree, Dayla's pretty great. :)

Serah said...

I'm responding to your comment on my blog. :)

We lived in Cooper-Young on S. Cox St. Your house reminds me a lot of the one we rented. I miss it so much! Those Midtown houses have such great character that we haven't found here.

I laughed when I saw you like Dino's. We used to eat there all the time. A good friend of ours was a waiter there. As for Memphis treats, we loved Young Ave. Deli (awesome fried dill pickles!) and Memphis Pizza Cafe. Huey's was one of my favorites, too. Cafe Ole' is awesome and so is Bosco's Midtown. Of course, there are a lot of new places since we left, too.

Enjoy!

Katie said...

Congrats on the job, by the way! I didn't even see your post! Yay!! That's awesome!

Christi said...

I've had something similar...with jelly and toasted...mmm warm and toasty...i think i first had it at disney land. It was a kids meal pb&j pizza, with little marshmellows on top, and toasted!

Mrs. M said...

My best friend from Boston made me one and it is awesome! I have seen Fluff here in memphis now. I think schnucks carries it. By the way, Tsunami is my favorite!