Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Politics, Schmalitics

John McCain just called Americans the "innocent bystanders" in this economic crisis. Both candidates have made multiple references to Washington and Wall Street as the culprits in this financial mess we are in. I suppose it won't bring much affection from potential voters if they say:

"Actually, while there are particular flaws in the fundamental structures of our financial system, much of the financial crisis that we are currently experiencing can be traced back to your greed. Have you purchased a home that you cannot afford? Are you building your life on credit cards that you will never be able to pay off? Have you saturated your budget with car payments, an outrageous mortgage, unrealistic loans and gobs of stuff that you just can't stand to live without? Are you driving your gas guzzler all over town with no thoughts of conservation? Unfortunately, the majority of Americans would probably answer yes to at least one of those questions. We are a nation of excess, a nation that stretches itself to its absolute limits and beyond in order to keep up with the Jones. We are a nation with little understanding of simplicity or sacrifice. As president, I will call upon the American people to take stock of their personal contributions to the crises of our world, environmental and economic. This will not be comfortable and this will not be popular, but this is what is necessary for the health of our citizens as individuals and our nation as a whole."

NOTE:
  • Just after I finished typing this, Obama started to hit on some of these ideas

  • McCain and Palin need to watch the catty Obama put-downs. As an undecided voter, it really pushes me toward Obama rather than deterring me from him. At this point in the race, they need to concentrate more on informing me of their plans and assets rather than spending all of their air time pointing out Obama's flaws.

4 comments:

Meredith said...

Or spending their air time winking at the camera or freaking voters out with that WEIRD McCain smile--what is THAT all about? :)

Great thoughts, my friend. I can happily say I no longer fall into the gas guzzler category--hip hip HOORAY!

If you need some persuasion, I'm always here to help you make a decision. When in doubt, just think... WWYGTD? ("What would your geometry teacher do"?) My mama's for Obama! :)

Shara said...

I know, I wish someone would just say that! The best thing for America would have been to LET the economy crash. Sure, we'd be back in the days of the Great Depression, but at least it would burst the economic bubble we're in, and Americans could start all over. But unfortunatetly we're a little too comfy in our ways of life, so I knew that was never going to happen (by choice anyway). And I agree about the caddiness - gotta stop! Although I've gotta add something about Obama, too...gotta start actually answering the questions directly. No more motivational speeches. ;)

Pleasant Living said...

Well said, Leslie! And, your home is lovely. You've done a great job of making your house a home. I LOVE the screened porch. So jealous!

Christi said...

read Jay's posting for Sept. 16. it may still be the most recent one.
http://www.gracewaco.blogspot.com/